Rachael Macdonald > Harper Macleod LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
CITYPOINT, 65 HAYMARKET TERRACE
- Go to...
Rachael is accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in family law. She deals with all aspects of family law, including financial provision on divorce, the negotiation of pre-nuptial agreements, cohabitation issues, surrogacy and child-related matters, including relocation. She has a particular interest and expertise in high net worth financial provision on divorce cases and pre-nuptial agreements.
An experienced court practitioner, Rachael appears regularly in the Sheriff Court and acts both as principal and Edinburgh agent in Court of Session cases. However, where possible, she will always endeavour to resolve matters outwith court. To that end, she is a trained Collaborative Lawyer and a member of Consensus Collaboration Scotland and IACP (the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals).
Rachael is Treasurer of the Family Law Association and has sat on the Committee of the Family Law Association since 2015. She was re-elected for a further three-year term in 2018. In that role, she provides input to government consultations on the review of family law in Scotland. She also organises training throughout the year for family law practitioners all over Scotland.
Rachael was appointed to the Board of the Scottish Child Law Centre in 2018. Prior to that, she was a regular volunteer at the Centre where she provided free advice to members of the public on often complex child and family law matters.
LLB (Hons) Dip LP NP
Harper Macleod LLP‘s ‘forward-thinking team’ has specialist knowledge in financial provision arrangements where settlement has been complicated by insolvency, assets held in shares and trusts, and foreign assets. The firm also has experience in cross-border child relocation and abduction cases, and has achieved favourable outcomes for their clients in residency and contact orders involving suspected abuse. In addition to advising on custody and financial separation agreements in divorces, practice head Amanda Masson has significant experience in fertility law, encompassing the law governing the use of frozen embryos, surrogacy, and assisted reproduction. Jenny Smith focuses on financial matters, with experience in drafting cohabitation agreements, pre- and post-nuptial agreements, and complex asset separation. Alexis Harper provides expertise on business valuations as it pertains to financial provision, while Karen Gibbons handles child welfare and mediation. Associates Nadine Martin and Rachael MacDonald are names to note.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment