Elizabeth Mitchell > Harper Macleod LLP > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
45 GORDON STREET
- Go to...
Elizabeth is an experienced commercial litigator, who has run cases in all areas of contentious insurance law, from road traffic pursuer and defender claims to general personal injury, employment, professional negligence, medical negligence, contractual disputes and home right claims.
Elizabeth leads a team that has a large portfolio of insurance clients/companies dealing with various types of claims. This includes all types of Personal Injury Claims covering Public, Occupier’s and Employer’s Liability claims. In addition, the department pursue and defend actions which fall under Home Insurance policies, commonly known as Family Legal Protection claims. Further, we pursue and defend claims which fall under Commercial Business Policies. The team also act for a number of Scottish Government Bodies & Government Departments.
Elizabeth is currently a tutor in Professional Practice & Ethics at Strathclyde University and in the past has been on the board of Scottish Rowing – the Governing body for rowing in Scotland and Dancebase, Scotland’s National Dance Centre.
BA; LLB Dip LP
Harper Macleod LLP’s clinical negligence practice sits within the firm’s wider personal injury group and is headed by Elizabeth Mitchell from Glasgow. It is highlighted as a ‘great team dedicated to achieving the best for their clients’, and covers wrongful death and stillborn deaths, foetal abnormalities including spina bifida, and catastrophic injuries to children. Heather Calderwood has ‘excellent judgement and a strong ethical sense’ and specialises in surgical errors and wrongful death claims, frequently appearing in the Court of Session. Also of note is senior associate Amy Dickson who has an active caseload covering dental, nursing and midwifery claims.
Described as a ‘force to be reckoned with’, the personal injury group at Harper Macleod LLP is instructed by large insurers, public bodies and private individuals across complex issues including employer and public liability, clinical negligence, and industrial diseases. Practice head Elizabeth Mitchell has experience in defender actions and oversees the group which features solicitor advocate Suzanne McGarrigle, who is the key name for litigating cases before the Sheriff Court and Court of Session, specialising in liability and medical causation. Senior associate Amy Dickson is also a key name and acts on behalf of insurance companies.
‘Displaying excellent judgment’, Harper Macleod LLP’s personal injury practice handles complex and high-value claims covering fatal accidents at work, catastrophic injuries and fatal accidents abroad. Spearheaded by Elizabeth Mitchell, the group is made up of key partner Heather Calderwood in Glasgow who focuses on wrongful death and fatal claims, and senior associate Amy Dickson, who frequently appears before the Sheriff Courts on public liability matters. Marina Harper was promoted to the partnership and is the key contact for serious injury work.
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Medical negligence: pursuer - Scotland > Insurance
- Personal injury: defender - Scotland > Insurance
- Personal injury: pursuer - Scotland > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning