Tom Gray > Harper Macleod LLP > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
45 GORDON STREET
- Go to...
Tom specialises in real estate and has particular experience in rural property transactions across Scotland. Tom advises on a variety of rural and commercial property transactions, including agricultural tenancies, forestry, farm and estate purchases and sales, security work, as well as general estate conveyancing.
Tom represents a number of public sector clients, including Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS), Scottish Natural Heritage, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Authority, in a variety of property related transactions, ranging from acquisitions and disposals to leases and clawback agreements.
He acts on behalf of FLS in implementing their New Woodland Investment Programme. As a result he is progressing the acquisition and disposal of more than 3000 ha of farm and other land for planting and mature forestry for felling with a total value of over £10 million, enabling FLS to meet their annual planting targets set by the Scottish Ministers.
Tom recently acted on behalf of a farming partnership in the multimillion pound expansion of their prime arable farm in Forfar, Angus. This involved the acquisition of the neighbouring farm, the voluntary registration of the original farm, successfully raising finance for the project as well as managing the associated agricultural tenancies and transfer of the Basic Payment Scheme Entitlements.
Tom has a wide ranging interest in the agricultural sector and he regularly delivers training sessions to our HM Connect network on Land Reform and agricultural tenancies. He regularly attends rural property, farming, forestry and environmental events across Scotland.
LLB (Hons); Dip LP, NP
Harper Macleod LLP has ‘huge breadth of knowledge and experience’ in the rural sector and handles land registration issues, crofting, and landed estate matters. Acting as part of its energy and natural resources group, the team handles forestry transactions and renewable energy projects for leading clients including Forestry and Land Scotland and NatureScot. Practice head Graeme Nisbet advises on diversification projects and agricultural tenancies. Calum MacLeod in Inverness is the contact for community ownership work. Glasgow based associate Tom Gray is ‘genuinely excellent‘ according to clients and is the key contact for forestry and estate purchases.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning