Calum MacLeod > Harper Macleod LLP > Inverness, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
CRADLEHALL BUSINESS PARK
- Go to...
Calum is a Law Society of Scotland accredited specialist in Crofting Law and advises clients on a wide range of rural property work, including crofting, agricultural tenancies, forestry purchases and sales, farm purchases, community group purchases, land reform and other rural property matters. Based in our Inverness office, he has also acted for developers and landowners in a number of renewable energy projects and he has significant experience in community renewables projects.
Calum has particular expertise as a crofting lawyer and has advised both crofters and landowners on a variety of crofting law matters including applications to the Crofting Commission and the Land Court. He has advised in particular on renewables projects on croftland. Calum also has an interest in Land Reform. He has advised clients across the Highlands and Islands including the Crofting Counties of Inverness-shire, Ross-shire, Argyll, Caithness and Sutherland.
Originally from the Isle of Skye, Calum is a fluent Gaelic speaker and has spoken on TV, radio and at conferences on land reform, renewables and crofting law.
Calum is on the Rural Affairs Committee of the Law Society of Scotland and is a director of Highland charity, New Start Highland.
LLB (Hons) Dip LP NP
Harper Macleod LLP has ‘huge breadth of knowledge and experience’ in the rural sector and handles land registration issues, crofting, and landed estate matters. Acting as part of its energy and natural resources group, the team handles forestry transactions and renewable energy projects for leading clients including Forestry and Land Scotland and NatureScot. Practice head Graeme Nisbet advises on diversification projects and agricultural tenancies. Calum MacLeod in Inverness is the contact for community ownership work. Glasgow based associate Tom Gray is ‘genuinely excellent‘ according to clients and is the key contact for forestry and estate purchases.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning