Advocate Christopher Scholefield > Viberts > St Helier, Jersey > Lawyer Profile
VIBERTS HOUSE, PO BOX 737
- Go to...
Advocate Christopher Scholefield
Corporate Law Partner
Christopher is a partner and heads the corporate and trust team at Viberts.
Christopher has an in depth knowledge of the legislation and practice that apply to Jersey companies, Jersey trusts (whether set up in life or in a will) Jersey partnerships and Jersey foundations. He advises people planning to establish such arrangements, the regulated financial services providers who administer them, third parties dealing with them and those shareholder, partners or beneficiaries who question whether their interests are being well looked after. Currently his clients include commercial organisations, charities and beneficiaries of contested cross border estates. Recent work has included assisting the charity that works to help other charities and securing wasted costs for a trustee from the law firms who advised beneficiaries to bring ill-founded litigation against them.
When advising his clients Christopher typically brings the following skills to the table:
- As a lawyer who handles contentious work and is accustomed to court proceedings he takes care that the evidence of his clients’ conduct would earn the understanding and respect of a court were it ever to be considered there;
- With his expose to civil law systems and civil law practitioners he bridges both the language and the cultural gaps that have sometimes opened between his clients and those responsible for their affairs;
- With his rigorous approach to the use of language he is adept at flushing out ambiguities before they can cause mischief;
- He uses his experience to make sure that he not only answers his clients’ questions, but also volunteers other information material to how their objectives might best be achieved.
Jersey Advocate – 1987
French and German
- STEP Member
- Member of the Jersey Law Society
- Brightly’s Charity Board Member (formerly known as Brig-y-don Children’s Charity)
- Alliance Française Board Member
- Trustee of TB Davis Scholarship Trust
- Victoria College Foundation Trustee
- Save Jersey’s Heritage Chairman
University of Oxford – Jurisprudence MA
Paul Wilson and Christopher Scholefield are key names in the corporate practice at Viberts Jersey Lawyers. The firm is particularly reputed for work concerning island businesses, including construction companies (handling matters such as the formation of joint ventures for major projects on-island), technology start-ups and medical practices. Other areas of expertise include non-profits, with the Jersey Football Association a prestige client of the firm, as well as transactions concerning Jersey companies with their assets elsewhere.
At Viberts Jersey Lawyers, Paul Wilson handles borrower and lender-side work for Jersey trading companies, with borrower-side London real estate finance deals a staple for the firm alongside some work for challenger banks. Christopher Scholefield‘s workload includes advising trustees on finance matters, and James Lawrence has on-island real estate finance expertise.
Christopher Scholefield is a key contact for trusts work at Viberts Jersey Lawyers. He handles a range of trusts work, including semi-contentious court applications, issues with company law crossover and matters concerning foreign litigation, and receives referrals from respected firms across the UK, as well as some Jersey tax litigation. Zoe Blomfield – head of the firm’s personal law department – handles all manner of local wills issues, with a particular area of expertise in mental health law. The firm’s senior partner Charles Thacker is also notable in this area.