Advocate Christopher Scholefield > Viberts > St Helier, Jersey > Lawyer Profile
VIBERTS HOUSE, PO BOX 737
- Go to...
Advocate Christopher Scholefield
Corporate Law Partner
Christopher is a partner and heads the corporate and trust team at Viberts.
Christopher has an in depth knowledge of the legislation and practice that apply to Jersey companies, Jersey trusts (whether set up in life or in a will) Jersey partnerships and Jersey foundations. He advises people planning to establish such arrangements, the regulated financial services providers who administer them, third parties dealing with them and those shareholder, partners or beneficiaries who question whether their interests are being well looked after. Currently his clients include commercial organisations, charities and beneficiaries of contested cross border estates. Recent work has included assisting the charity that works to help other charities and securing wasted costs for a trustee from the law firms who advised beneficiaries to bring ill-founded litigation against them.
When advising his clients Christopher typically brings the following skills to the table:
- As a lawyer who handles contentious work and is accustomed to court proceedings he takes care that the evidence of his clients’ conduct would earn the understanding and respect of a court were it ever to be considered there;
- With his expose to civil law systems and civil law practitioners he bridges both the language and the cultural gaps that have sometimes opened between his clients and those responsible for their affairs;
- With his rigorous approach to the use of language he is adept at flushing out ambiguities before they can cause mischief;
- He uses his experience to make sure that he not only answers his clients’ questions, but also volunteers other information material to how their objectives might best be achieved.
Jersey Advocate – 1987
French and German
- STEP Member
- Member of the Jersey Law Society
- Brightly’s Charity Board Member (formerly known as Brig-y-don Children’s Charity)
- Alliance Française Board Member
- Trustee of TB Davis Scholarship Trust
- Victoria College Foundation Trustee
- Save Jersey’s Heritage Chairman
University of Oxford – Jurisprudence MA
Lawyers at Viberts ‘understand their area of expertise and give sage advice‘, with recent expertise handling novel transactions including in relation to crowdfunding. Real estate finance structures are a notable area of specialism. Christopher Scholefield leads the firm’s relationship with Lloyds Bank, while James Lawrence focuses on bonds and securitisations. Heading the team is Paul Wilson. Promoted to senior associate in February 2022, Eleanor Colley is increasingly active in the real estate finance space.
At Viberts, the corporate team counts a healthy mix of Jersey-based financial services businesses, trading companies and high-net-worth individuals as clients, assisting with a wide variety of transactions and commercial advisory work, where its able to draw on key expertise in regulatory issues. Paul Wilson leads the department and is a veteran of Jersey corporate deals, insolvency and restructuring transactions. Christopher Scholefield is the name to note for commercial and charity law issues. Promoted to senior associate in February 2022, Eleanor Colley is developing a name for the corporate aspects of real estate transactions.
The personal law team at Viberts is known for advising on will drafting, inheritance issues and estate planning. Clients include financial institutions including Lloyds Bank, overseas law firms and high-net-worth individuals. Key figures are Christopher Scholefield, who is experienced in succession planning and asset protection, particularly where there is a cross-border aspect; and managing partner Zoe Blomfield, a seasoned cross-border estate administration expert. Senior associate Eleanor Colley is building a notable trusts practice.
- Banking and finance - Jersey
- Corporate and commercial - Jersey
- Private client, trusts and tax - Jersey