Melanie Hamer > Wendy Hopkins Family Law Practice > Cardiff, Wales > Lawyer Profile
Wendy Hopkins Family Law Practice Offices
13 WINDSOR PLACE
- Go to...
In 1996, Melanie Hamer co-founded Wendy Hopkins Family Law Practice. A leader in the field of family law, Melanie has helped put the firm in the top band in ‘Chambers and Partners’ and ‘The Legal 500’. She has considerable experience in big-money divorce cases, prenuptial agreements and complex disputes involving children and has acted for high profile celebrity clients.
Melanie was one of the first two solicitors in Wales to gain entry to the Solicitors Family Law Association (Resolution) specialist panel.
Melanie features regularly in the press and was identified as a businesswoman who is a leader in her field by The Western Mail.
Melanie trained at Eversheds (commercial property, company and commercial, employment law and private client). When she qualified in 1989, she stayed on in the private client department at Eversheds.
- Member of the Aberystwyth University Audit, Risk and Assurance Committee
- Trustee of Cardiff City Football Club Foundation
- Eversheds Sutherland Women in Business Mentoring Programme – as a mentor
- Monumental Welsh Women – to erect a statue of a Welsh woman in Wales
- One of the founding members of South Wales Ladies Business Club
- Former director of Cardiff Business Club
- Aberdare Girls’ Grammar School
- 1983 – 1986 – University of Wales, Aberystwyth (LLB Law)
- 1986 – 1987 – College of Law, Guildford
Melanie was born and grew up in Aberdare, she now lives in Cardiff with her husband and two children. Her hobbies include swimming, cycling, running, dog walking, skiing and gardening.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals) (Hall of Fame)
‘Hardworking and astute’ five-partner Cardiff-based family law boutique Wendy Hopkins Family Law Practice has a market-leading reputation in the space and is invariably ‘instructed on one side of any case of real value or complexity’, including on high-value, cross-border financial remedy and private children cases. The ‘thorough and fastidious’ Melanie Hamer and ‘unflappable‘ Thea Hughes routinely handle complex and high-value financial remedy cases, as does the ‘patient, humane and diligent’ David James, who is also regularly instructed on high-net-worth Schedule 1 Children Act cases. Sarah Wyburn has a ‘skill or bringing out the best in a case‘, whether it relates to complex and high-value financial cases, or in the context of civil partnership and same-sex marriages. Rebecca Knight ‘leaves no stone unturned for her clients’, which include a number of professional footballers, which she has advised over an array of matters, including on pre-nuptial agreements.
- Family - Wales > Private client
- Hall of Fame - Wales > Private client > Family
- Leading individuals - Wales > Private client > Family