Clive Phillips > Brodies LLP > Aberdeen, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
31-33 UNION GROVE
- Go to...
Real estate, land and rural business.
Partner and head of the firm’s Land and Rural Business team, and accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in agricultural law. Over 20 years’ experience in all aspects of rural property and related matters. Wide industry knowledge and experience. Advises on property purchases, sales and leasing of farms and estates. Advises on contentious and non-contentious agricultural tenancies for landlord and tenant. Instructed frequently on diversification projects, particularly renewables – has particular experience with wind farm options, leases and joint venture arrangements. Works out of Brodies’ Aberdeen office advising clients nationally but with particular emphasis on the north east of Scotland, highlands and northern isles.
Qualified Paull & Williamsons 1992; partner at Paull & Williamsons 2002; private client and rural property; partner, Ledingham Chalmers LLP 2007; partner land and rural business team, real estate department Brodies LLP, Aberdeen 2011.
Law Society of Scotland, Agricultural Law Association, Royal Highland Agricultural Society, Committee member Scottish Land & Estates (SLE) North East Region Committee 2007 to date, Committee member SLE Legal and Policy Committee 2008 to date, National Farmers Union of Scotland, Royal Northern Agricultural Society, North East and Tayside Farm Management Associations.
Mackie Academy, Stonehaven; University of Dundee (LLP with distinction including economics and accountancy; Diploma in Legal Practice).
Clive Phillips is a landowner and farmer in his own right has a keen interest in equestrian and other rural activities.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Known for their ‘can-do attitude and commitment to tight timescales’, the agriculture and estates team at Brodies LLP has particular expertise in negotiating contracts related to complex tenancy arrangements, having acted on behalf of both landlords and tenants. The firm is experienced in advising on high value agricultural land transactions, expertly handling the sale of both portfolios and of entire estates, including those with complexities related to crofting and Udal law. Practice head Clive Phillips is himself the owner of a family farm, while fellow senior partner Odell Milne brings decades of experience to bear. Mike Stephen and Graeme Leith handle forestry mandates, a growing area of activity in Scotland.
- Agriculture and estates - Scotland > Private client
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Private client > Agriculture and estates
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport