Mr Shaun George > Brodies LLP > Aberdeen, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
31-33 UNION GROVE
- Go to...
Mr Shaun George
A vastly experienced solicitor, Shaun has practised family law for more than 30 years. He heads the Brodies’ Family team, which is the largest in Scotland, and is based in Aberdeen.
Shaun advises on all aspects of family law but has particular expertise in high value financial provision on divorce cases, often involving assets held overseas.
As a qualified Family Law Arbitrator, he offers his clients a range of dispute resolution options including collaboration, mediation and arbitration. He is one of only two Scottish solicitors ranked in the Chambers UK High Net Worth Guide 2020.
Qualified 1989; Partner; Laurie & Co, Solicitors, Aberdeen, 1991 – 2001; Partner – Burnside, Kemp, Fraser, Solicitors, Aberdeen 2001 – 2004; Partner Simpson & Marwick, Solicitors, Aberdeen 2004 – June, 2015; Partner Brodies LLP June 2015 to date.
National Committee of Consensus (Collaboration) Scotland; Past President of Society of Advocates in Aberdeen; FLAGS (Family Law Arbitration Group Scotland); FLA (Family Law Association); CALM (Comprehensive Accredited Lawyer Mediators);
University of Aberdeen 1986 LLB; Dip LP 1987
Member of Royal Aberdeen Golf Club since 1980; Captain:2018/2019; Aberdeen University Basketball Blue.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
With a strong focus on a collaborative approach, the family team at Brodies LLP handles some of the most complex and high-value divorces and civil partnership dissolutions, many of which have cross-border dimensions. Shaun George, ‘one of the most experienced family law practitioners in Scotland’, heads up the team, which also includes Richard B Smith, who frequently offers tailored advice to business owners and their spouses going through divorce, and Lisa Girdwood, whose practice centres on child law issues, including complex child abduction cases, as well as complex financial provision on separation and divorce. Promoted to partner in 2020, Jennifer Wilkie’s practice revolves around international work, with particular expertise in pre- and post-nuptial agreements and surrogacy matters. At senior associate level, Fiona Sharp specialises in both divorce and cohabitation cases.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport