Malcolm Mackay > Brodies LLP > Aberdeen, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
31-33 UNION GROVE
- Go to...
Shipping and transport / dispute resolution and regulatory.
An experienced litigator and solicitor advocate, Malcolm is a partner in Brodies’ shipping and transport team which covers all aspects of Scottish shipping and offshore work. Based in Brodies’ Aberdeen office, Malcolm’s team focusses on the provides support to clients with disputes, claims and litigation assisting with investigation, representation and resolution particularly in oil and gas, marine, fishing and transport sectors.
Malcolm’s team has recently assisted clients with various high value litigations and disputes involving drilling, decommissioning, diving, DP Systems and fishing.
Malcolm’s and some of the team have offshore survival certification to attend offshore when required and the team have provided emergency legal support following a fatal helicopter ditching, an international airline criminal investigation, various marine collisions, construction/maintenance incidents, various diving cases including a fatal diving HSE investigation. Onshore, Malcolm’s team regularly provides claim investigation and support in accident claims and investigations including fatal cases for insurers, commercial organisations and the public sector.
His team has a keen interest in the developing decommissioning and marine renewable energy sectors. The team are proactive in securing resolution to disputes on the best terms for his clients utilising alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation, where appropriate. As solicitor advocate, Malcolm acted as junior counsel in a landmark fatal accident jury trial at the Court of Session. Malcolm is a University of Aberdeen post-graduate tutor in advanced civil litigation and previously tutored oil and gas elective courses. He is also a member of the Aberdeen post-graduate legal education steering group.
Trained Hardy Macphail, Glasgow; qualified 2001; solicitor Mackinnons, Aberdeen 2002-04; solicitor, associate and partner Balfour & Manson LLP, Aberdeen 2004-11; partner Brodies LLP 2011 to date.
Law Society of Scotland; Society of Solicitor Advocates; Aberdeen Bar Association; Society of Advocates in Aberdeen.
Aboyne Academy; Aberdeen University (LLB 2(1)); University of Glasgow (Diploma in Legal Practice).
Family, sports (golf/cycling/snowboarding), cooking.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport