Mr Shaun George > Brodies LLP > Aberdeen, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
31-33 Union Grove
- Go to...
Mr Shaun George
Shaun has practised family law for more than 30 years. He heads the Brodies’ Family team, which is the largest in Scotland, and is based in our Aberdeen and Edinburgh offices.
Shaun advises on all aspects of family law but has particular expertise in high value financial provision on divorce cases, often involving assets held overseas.
As a qualified Family Law Arbitrator, he offers his clients a range of dispute resolution options including collaboration, mediation and arbitration. He is one of the few Scottish solicitors ranked in the Chambers UK High Net Worth Guide 2023.
Qualified 1989; Partner; Laurie & Co, Solicitors, Aberdeen, 1991 – 2001; Partner – Burnside, Kemp, Fraser, Solicitors, Aberdeen 2001 – 2004; Partner Simpson & Marwick, Solicitors, Aberdeen 2004 – June, 2015; Partner Brodies LLP June 2015 to date.
National Committee of Consensus (Collaboration) Scotland; Past President of Society of Advocates in Aberdeen; FLAGS (Family Law Arbitration Group Scotland); FLA (Family Law Association); CALM (Comprehensive Accredited Lawyer Mediators);
University of Aberdeen 1986 LLB; Dip LP 1987
Member of Royal Aberdeen Golf Club since 1980; Captain:2018/2019; Aberdeen University Basketball Blue.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
With an experienced bench of family law specialists, the family law practice at Brodies LLP is well placed to handle a wide range of instructions, from complex and high-value divorces to child abduction cases and residence issues; with the arrival of Jacqueline Stroud from MacRoberts LLP in June 2022, the team also boosted its capabilities in financial provision and mediation work. Shaun George leads the group from the firm’s Aberdeen office, while Lisa Girdwood, who excels in international child abduction cases, is a key contact in Glasgow. Other key individuals include the Inverness-based Sarah Lilley (child law and family law mediation) and the Aberdeen-based Susie Mountain (particular expertise in the relocation of children); both were elevated to the partnership in May 2022. At associate level, the team is supported by Victoria Varty and Garry Sturrock. Senior associate Debbie Reekie recently joined from BTO; she is known for being ‘very easy to deal with‘ and ‘adopting a constructive approach to her cases‘.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport