Odell Milne > Brodies LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
15 ATHOLL CRESCENT
- Go to...
Real estate, land and rural business.
Partner in the firm’s land and rural business team. Accredited as a specialist in agricultural law by the Law Society of Scotland; ranked by the The Legal 500 and Chambers UK legal directories who say that Odell ‘excels at all aspects of land management.’ She is praised by clients for her lateral thinking, depth of knowledge, and ‘can do’ attitude. Specialises in all aspects of rural property law, agriculture and estate work, including landlord and tenant issues, wind-farms and hydro schemes, and compulsory purchase. Leads the team responsible for the transport project work, including land assembly relating to three new railways in Scotland. She acts for a number of large landed estates and farmers as well as public sector clients, advising on a wide range of issues, from environmental to land reform and diversification. Recognised for her expertise in compulsory purchase and compensation, she is a regular speaker at conferences on that topic as well as on more traditional areas of rural practice.
Trained North East Fife District Council; qualified 1984; conveyancing assistant, Balfour & Manson; Connell & Connell; accredited specialist in agricultural law (Law Society of Scotland 2005); partner Brodies LLP 2007. Publications of note: jointly responsible for ‘Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia Volume ‘Compulsory Acquisition and Compensation’’ (Butterworths 2008); regular contributor of articles to ‘Farm Law’ and ‘Agricultural Law Association Bulletin’; ‘Scottish Land & Estates: Land Business’, ‘Scottish Farmer’ and ‘Journal of the Law Society of Scotland’.
Law Society of Scotland. WS Society; Agricultural Law Association; Scottish Agricultural Arbiters & Valuers Association; Scottish committee member, Compulsory Purchase Association; Scottish Land and Estates Wayleaves committee member; member, Women in Agriculture.
Wycombe Abbey School; University of Edinburgh (1982 LLB Hons; 1983 Dip LP).
Walking, classical music, literature, travel.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Known for their ‘can-do attitude and commitment to tight timescales’, the agriculture and estates team at Brodies LLP has particular expertise in negotiating contracts related to complex tenancy arrangements, having acted on behalf of both landlords and tenants. The firm is experienced in advising on high value agricultural land transactions, expertly handling the sale of both portfolios and of entire estates, including those with complexities related to crofting and Udal law. Practice head Clive Phillips is himself the owner of a family farm, while fellow senior partner Odell Milne brings decades of experience to bear. Mike Stephen and Graeme Leith handle forestry mandates, a growing area of activity in Scotland.
Brodies LLP covers the gamut of transport sector work with specialist expertise across the segments shipping, road, rail, aviation and logistics, but the team has been particularly active handling contentious and non-contentious instructions pertaining to rail and road projects. In the rail sector, Roger Cotton is noted for his expertise in rail franchising, while Jackie McGuire is well equipped to clients, including developers, contractors and local authorities, through road and rail regulations; together with Odell Milne, she is also a key contact for compulsory purchase orders. Karen Hamilton handles road and rail infrastructure project-related planning law, while Duncan MacLean is the main contact for shipping and marine sector work.
- Agriculture and estates - Scotland > Private client
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Transport - Scotland
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport