Duncan MacLean > Brodies LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
15 ATHOLL CRESCENT
- Go to...
Shipping and transport/commercial dispute resolution.
Lead partner in the team with over 25 years of experience and is involved in both transactional work and high-value and complex litigation in the Court of Session and Sheriff Courts. Has practiced in the shipping and transport sector for over 20 years and is recognised as one of the country’s leading experts in this area. Work includes commercial and insurance litigation, contractual advisory work and transactional support. Has been involved in advising key clients in the recent resurgence of Scottish shipbuilding, and much of the significant shipping litigation in Scotland in recent years, arising from representing P&l clubs and other underwriters, leading shipping firms and specialist fishing vessel insurers. Leads the team involved in wide range across the shipping sector – merchant, offshore oil and gas, ferries, marine renewables, fishing and leisure, including ship building, charterparties, arrest, salvage, collision, on-site investigations, personal injury, prosecutions, property damage, cargo claims, and road haulage claims.
Trained Guild & Guild, Edinburgh; qualified 1988; solicitor then senior solicitor Brodies LLP 1989-94; associate 1994 then partner HBJ 1996; partner Brodies LLP 2004. Writer to the Signet.
Law Society of Scotland; British Maritime Law Association; UK Chamber of Shipping; Forum of Insurance Lawyers.
Achtercairn Secondary School, Gairloch; Dingwall Academy; Edinburgh University (1986 LLB; 1987 Dip LP).
Family, sports, the outdoors, church, and social action.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Brodies LLP covers the gamut of transport sector work with specialist expertise across the segments shipping, road, rail, aviation and logistics, but the team has been particularly active handling contentious and non-contentious instructions pertaining to rail and road projects. In the rail sector, Roger Cotton is noted for his expertise in rail franchising, while Jackie McGuire is well equipped to clients, including developers, contractors and local authorities, through road and rail regulations; together with Odell Milne, she is also a key contact for compulsory purchase orders. Karen Hamilton handles road and rail infrastructure project-related planning law, while Duncan MacLean is the main contact for shipping and marine sector work.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport