Tony Jones QC > Brodies LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
15 ATHOLL CRESCENT
- Go to...
Tony Jones QC
Tony is one of only five civil solicitor advocates in Scotland to be afforded the rank of senior counsel; this is testament to the fact that the majority of his career has been devoted to conducting advocacy in Scotland at the highest level. Tony is the only QC in Scotland to be accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as an expert in professional negligence law.
Tony has conducted litigations, arbitrations, adjudications and mediations relating to a wide spectrum of commercial disputes
Brodies LLP took on Tony Jones QC from BTO Solicitors LLP in mid-2018 and also increased its team’s partner count during the year with the promotion of ‘refreshingly frank‘ Louise Kelso, an accredited mediator and a specialist in solicitor negligence. The practice – which is led by Alan Calvert and Alisdair Matheson , handles the defence of some of the most important construction claims in Scotland on behalf of engineers, while managing a broader caseload which encompasses solicitor negligence, surveyor negligence and broker negligence across various sectors, including real estate and corporate, in addition to a range of disputes and employment claims relating to discrimination and equal pay. Jones is one of only three practising civil solicitor advocate QCs in Scotland.(Leading individuals)
Grant Hunter‘s ‘strong‘ team at BTO Solicitors LLP is adept at handling insolvency-related, insurance and professional negligence commercial litigation while also having experience in corporate and partnership disputes. Its client base spans various industries including insurance, banking and finance, construction and property as well as renewable energy; the team also acts for individuals. David Young is recommended for property-related litigation. Tony Jones QC moved to Brodies LLP in June 2018.
Brodies LLP fields an ‘excellent‘ team, which is frequently involved in many of Scotland’s most high-profile disputes, most notably those arising from food and drink sector contracts, oil and gas contracts, debt and asset recovery and the international supply of goods and services. The team led by Stephen Goldie is equally well versed in handling corporate disputes and has a strong alternative dispute resolution offering. ‘Litigation heavyweight‘ Joyce Cullen and Iain Rutherford, who also handles high-value arbitration claims, are recommended, as is ‘bright‘ professional negligence expert Tony Jones QC, who joined the firm in June 2018 from BTO Solicitors LLP, and associate Monica Connolly, who has particular expertise in high-value IT disputes.
Brodies LLP handles a wide range of cases for major insurers and large companies, with a particular specialism in offshore accidents. The team defends class actions across a range of areas in the personal injury arena, including product liability and public liability, and also defends high value motor accidents, fatal claims and catastrophic injury claims. Tony Jones QC joined from BTO during 2018, adding considerable expertise to the practice. In 2017 partner Elena Fry spent two years as the head of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers in Scotland and was appointed as a member of the Scottish Civil Justice Council in late 2017.
Brodies LLP‘s contentious expertise was recently bolstered by the arrival of Tony Jones QC from BTO Solicitors LLP. The insolvency and restructuring team, led from Edinburgh by Rachel Grant, represents large corporates, SMEs, public sector and regulatory clients, high-profile retailers and construction companies. Peter Kelly leads the Glasgow-based group, and Bruce Stephen handles specialised insolvency processes.
Brodies LLP acts for corporate clients alongside insurers across various industries with particular expertise in the marine and fishing, construction, oil and gas and leisure sectors. Noted for its full-service offering, the team routinely advises on regulatory issues and acts for clients in regulatory and internal investigations and subsequent court actions. Elena Fry heads the team, which includes professional negligence lawyer Tony Jones QC, who joined the firm in June 2018 from BTO Solicitors LLP.
- Commercial litigation - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Personal injury: defender - Scotland > Insurance
- Professional negligence - Scotland > Insurance
- Health and safety - Scotland > Human resources
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - Scotland > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Human resources > Employment
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport