Neil Collar > Brodies LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
15 ATHOLL CRESCENT
- Go to...
Planning, renewable energy, oil and gas (onshore).
Partner. Accredited specialist in planning law. Consistently rated as one of Scotland’s leading planning lawyers. Well known for both advisory and advocacy work. Over 20 years’ experience in housing, renewable energy, transport/infrastructure, waste, minerals and retail.
Trained Brodies LLP; qualified 1992; partner Brodies LLP 1998. Publications of note include: ‘Planning’ (W Green/Sweet & Maxwell, 4th ed published 2016); ‘Planning and Human Rights’ (W Green 2001).
Law Society of Scotland and sits on its planning law committee; legal associate of Royal Town Planning Institute; editorial board for Scottish Planning and Environmental Law; Scottish Renewables planning group; UK onshore oil and gas mineral planning group.
Douglas Academy, Milngavie; Glasgow University; Liverpool University; (1988 LLB Hons; 1990 LLM; 1990 Dip LP).
Playing the saxophone.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
With a superb reputation for planning law, Brodies LLP is a regular fixture on key residential, leisure, renewables and infrastructure developments, among others, where the team’s assistance covers all aspects of planning law, including compulsory purchases, section 75 planning obligations, judicial reviews and statutory appeals. Its extensive client roster includes public authorities and notable private sector clients. Edinburgh-based Neil Collar, who handles the full spectrum of planning law with a particular focus on renewable energy developments, and Aberdeen-based Elaine Farquharson-Black, who puts particular emphasis on the promotion of land through development plans, and joined the firm from Burness Paull LLP in May 2019, jointly head the practice.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport