Susanne Batchelor > Brodies LLP > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
15 ATHOLL CRESCENT
- Go to...
Susanne has specialised in private client work for over 20 years and prides herself on delivering excellent client service. Working collaboratively with the rest of the team, she ensures that clients are clear on all aspects of costs, timescales and progress.
Susanne’s expertise includes wills, estate and succession planning, inheritance tax advice, formation, management and termination of trusts and family limited partnerships, powers of attorney, guardianship and intervention orders, planning for care costs and the administration of executries. She specialises in advising on cross border estates, representing individuals and assets all over the world.
Susanne has a significant interest in the area of adults with incapacity – she is an appointed financial guardian for a number of individuals and regularly provides advice to families in relation to power of attorney and capacity issues. She also leads the team’s personal injury trust offering.
Trained A & W M Urquhart Solicitors; qualified 1999; Anderson Strathern 1999; Murray Beith Murray 2003, associate 2004; associate Brodies LLP 2008; partner 2009.
Association of Taxation Technicians; Securities Institute.
St Margaret’s School; The Edinburgh Academy; University of Aberdeen (1996 LLB Hons; 1997 DipLP).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Fielding a team of dedicated lawyers across its Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen offices, Brodies LLP places a premium on high-value estate planning, succession planning, tax planning, trusts and executries. Retained by a roster of wealthy families and high-net-worth individuals, the team is led by Mark Stewart, whose practice is characterised by notable cross-border capabilities, owing to his dual qualification in Scotland and England and Wales. Tax planning specialist Alan Barr is sought after for his knowledge of domestic taxes diverging from the rest of the UK, notably income tax and Land and Buildings Transaction Tax. Norman Kennedy, for his part, specialises in winding up complex estates involving family businesses, while Susanne Batchelor shines in the area of family limited partnerships.
Leveraging expertise from the firm’s highly respected commercial litigation department and its and wider private client teams, the contentious trust offering at Brodies LLP encompasses a diverse range of disputes. It flourishes in disputes emanating from the validity of wills, executry disputes concerning business assets and disputes relating to the winding up of estates. The department is led by Mark Stewart and Christine O’Neill, the latter of whom has particular expertise in actions to remove trustees, claims of breach of trust, and actions to strike down contested wills. The ‘intelligent and commercial‘ Angela McCulloch, tax disputes specialist Alan Barr, cross-border trusts expert Susanne Batchelor and Norman Kennedy are other key names to note.
- Contentious trusts and probate - Scotland > Private client
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Personal tax, trusts and executries - Scotland > Private client
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport