Iain Rutherford > Brodies LLP > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
110 QUEEN STREET
- Go to...
Commercial litigation partner who advises clients in relation to a broad range of commercial disputes with an emphasis on IT & telecoms, energy & corporate disputes and banking and financial services litigation. He has an LLM in IT & Telecommunications Law and has represented clients in relation to various IT related disputes including outsourcing, domain name, online defamation and IT supplier disputes. Iain has acted for banks and financial services institutions in relation to high profile and high value professional negligence, misrepresentation, contractual and pensions disputes and has acted in a wide variety of corporate litigation including warranty claims, unfair prejudice petitions and related shareholder disputes.
Iain is a solicitor-advocate and his practice is primarily in the Commercial Court of the Court of Session. He is, however, an enthusiastic proponent of alternative dispute resolution, with recent experience of mediation, arbitration (including energy arbitration) and expert determination (both financial and technical). His clients value his friendly and approachable manner coupled with his realistic commercial approach to the issues facing them.
(Pre-legal) Morgan Stanley, London 2000-02; trained Brodies LLP, qualified 05, senior solicitor 07-09; associate 09-14; partner 2014-present.
Association of Pension Lawyers (associate membership); Society for Computers & the Law; Law Society of Scotland.
Glasgow University (2000 LLB Hons); Glasgow Graduate School of Law (2003 Dip LP); University of Strathclyde (2010, LLM, IT & Telecommunications Law)
Family, golf, music and food
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Brodies LLP is a respected player in the commercial litigation market with a broad public and private sector client base, which also benefits from the team’s capabilities in alternative dispute resolution (ADR). Its workload spans all sectors but recently the team has been particularly active in the construction, manufacturing, IT, energy and oil and gas industries. Tony Jones QC is the key contact for the first mentioned segment. Alongside construction law, he is also known for his expertise in professional negligence, while Iain Rutherford focuses on IT and outsourcing, corporate and energy disputes. He receives regular support from associate and IT dispute specialist Monica Connolly. The practice is jointly led by Stephen Goldie, who is well versed in handling high-value contractual interpretation disputes, and head of the banking and financial services litigation team Joyce Cullen.
Litigators Iain Rutherford and Stephen Goldie jointly head up the team at Brodies LLP, which received a significant boost with the arrival of consultant Frank Johnstone from Dentons in September 2019. His specialism lies in the motor finance space – an area of expertise that is shared by the wider team and complemented by significant expertise in the consumer credit sector. Clients include banks and other financial institutions, utility companies, motor finance companies and blue-chip clients.
The dedicated IP, technology and outsourcing team at Brodies LLP provides advice on contentious and non-contentious IP issues, including regulatory issues, protection work, commercialisation mandates and enforcement matters. It acts for domestic and international companies in the oil and gas, renewables, IT, food and drink, engineering, aviation and pharmaceuticals sectors. Grant Campbell heads up the non-contentious side, whilst the contentious practice is led by Iain Rutherford. David Gallagher joined from an in-house role at TC BioPharm Limited. Robert Buchan retired and senior associate Shona Tennant left for an in-house role at William Grant & Sons Company.
- Commercial litigation - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- Debt recovery - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- Intellectual property - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport