Alisdair Matheson > Brodies LLP > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
110 QUEEN STREET
- Go to...
Litigation/insurance and risk.
Partner with extensive experience in resolving disputes in the commercial sphere. One of two people in Scotland dually accredited in both professional negligence and construction law by the Law Society of Scotland. Practice focuses mainly on professional negligence actions involving solicitors, accountants, surveyors and construction professionals such as engineers and architects in particular. The latter complementing his expertise and experience in navigating the complex and dispute-ridden construction world. He acts regularly for insurers both in such actions and providing advice and opinions on policy issues. He is supporter of alternative dispute resolution and an early adopter of mediation where appropriate.
Trainee W&J Burness 1995-97; solicitor MacRoberts 1997-98; solicitor Henderson Boyd Jackson 1998-99; solicitor Semple Fraser 1999-2001; sabbatical JET scheme, Japan 2001-02; solicitor, associate, partner Brodies LLP (including time with Bishops pre-merger) 2002 to date.
Society for Construction Law; Adjudication Society; Chartered Insurance Institute; The Insurance and Actuarial Society of Glasgow, secretary for their Professional Development Group.
Cleveden Secondary School, Glasgow; Glasgow University (1994 LLB Hons; 1995 Dip LP).
Family, rugby, running, cycling, climbing, reading, music, travel, Hillhead Jordanhill RFC.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The ‘efficient and exceptionally good value‘ professional negligence team at Brodies LLP has expertise in defendant work across sectors including real estate and construction. Jointly led by Alan Calvert in Edinburgh and Alisdair Matheson in Glasgow, the team is skilled in handling high-value disputes and claims against professional bodies including other solicitors, with specific capabilities in alternative dispute resolution. Louise Kelso has expertise in acting across a range of sectors such as financial services, construction, and education. Othe key members include experienced associate James Jerman who handles large and often sensitive multi-party disputes for clients.
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Insurance > Professional negligence
- Professional negligence - Scotland > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport