Alisdair Matheson > Brodies LLP > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
110 QUEEN STREET
- Go to...
Litigation/insurance and risk.
Partner with extensive experience in resolving disputes in the commercial sphere. One of two people in Scotland dually accredited in both professional negligence and construction law by the Law Society of Scotland. Practice focuses mainly on professional negligence actions involving solicitors, accountants, surveyors and construction professionals such as engineers and architects in particular. The latter complementing his expertise and experience in navigating the complex and dispute-ridden construction world. He acts regularly for insurers both in such actions and providing advice and opinions on policy issues. He is supporter of alternative dispute resolution and an early adopter of mediation where appropriate.
Trainee W&J Burness 1995-97; solicitor MacRoberts 1997-98; solicitor Henderson Boyd Jackson 1998-99; solicitor Semple Fraser 1999-2001; sabbatical JET scheme, Japan 2001-02; solicitor, associate, partner Brodies LLP (including time with Bishops pre-merger) 2002 to date.
Society for Construction Law; Adjudication Society; Chartered Insurance Institute; The Insurance and Actuarial Society of Glasgow, secretary for their Professional Development Group.
Cleveden Secondary School, Glasgow; Glasgow University (1994 LLB Hons; 1995 Dip LP).
Family, rugby, running, cycling, climbing, reading, music, travel, Hillhead Jordanhill RFC.
Brodies LLP took on Tony Jones QC from BTO Solicitors LLP in mid-2018 and also increased its team’s partner count during the year with the promotion of ‘refreshingly frank‘ Louise Kelso, an accredited mediator and a specialist in solicitor negligence. The practice – which is led by Alan Calvert and Alisdair Matheson , handles the defence of some of the most important construction claims in Scotland on behalf of engineers, while managing a broader caseload which encompasses solicitor negligence, surveyor negligence and broker negligence across various sectors, including real estate and corporate, in addition to a range of disputes and employment claims relating to discrimination and equal pay. Jones is one of only three practising civil solicitor advocate QCs in Scotland.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Human resources > Employment
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport