Alan Eccles > Brodies LLP > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Brodies LLP Offices
110 QUEEN STREET
- Go to...
Personal and family.
Alan’s work covers three main areas: charities; private client and parliamentary matters. Much of Alan’s practice involves advising on charity law. Alan assists charities, individuals and coporates in charity law, social enterprise (including charities engaged in trading and projects such as renewables), CSR, governance training and philanthropy. Alan has been heavily involved in early developments in charity law such as Scottish Incorporated Organisations (SCIOs), reorganisations, mergers and social enterprise. Alan’s private client work covers estate planning including wills, executries, trusts and inheritance tax. He is the author of the Scotland chapter in the textbook International Succession. As part of his private client advice, Alan often advises on incapacity law (powers of attorney, court appointed guardianship and other methods of managing the affairs of those less able to do so). This has involved acting in some of the leading Scottish cases on incapacity law and estate and succession planning. He has developed experience advising on parliamentary matters for charities and charitable activities including advising the Burrell Collection (lending and borrowing) (Scotland) Act 2014.
Research assistant at Scottish Law Commission 2002-03; Maclay Murray & Spens LLP (latterly as partner) 2003-14; Partner at Brodies 2014-present; part-time lecturer at University of Strathclyde 2004-present.
Law Society of Scotland’s Charity Law and Mental Health and Disability Law Committees.
Glasgow Academy; University of Strathclyde LLB (Hons); Law 1st class honours; Glasgow Graduate School of Law Diploma in legal practice, law.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Medical negligence: defender
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport