Ian Gruselle > Bristows LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Bristows LLP Offices
100 VICTORIA EMBANKMENT
- Go to...
Brands, Designs & Copyright Department
Ian is a Partner at Bristows and head of the trade mark portfolios group.
Ian advises on all aspects of trade marks and designs including clearance searches, registration, opposition proceedings and portfolio management. He has particular expertise in representing clients before the United Kingdom and the European Union trade marks and design offices, as well as managing international trade mark and design portfolios.
Ian represents iconic brands and household names such as BAFTA, the Financial Times, Fat Face and Rocco Forte Hotels as well as market leaders in computer software, medical and dental goods and in the financial sector.
Trained and qualified as a Trade Mark Attorney at fJ Cleveland and associate at fJ Cleveland 1997 to 2005; Associate and then Director and Head of Trade Marks at Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP 2005 to 2017; Partner at Bristows from 2017.
CITMA, INTA and Marques.
Cranleigh School; London University (1995 BA (Hons) History, Economic History and Politics); College of Law, Guildford (1996 CPE, 1997 LPC).
Films, supporting Nottingham Forest, acting as a taxi service for my children.
Bristows LLP has integrated its attorney practice into its trade mark solicitor offering, with the combined expertise of the two practices covering the full spectrum of trade mark matters, ranging from brand creation to brand protection and commercialisation, both in the UK and cross-border mandates. With its very prestigious client roster, the team is well versed in advising on high-stakes complex matters, often involving global trade mark portfolios and a high number of opposition and cancellation proceedings. The firm’s in-house innovation committee is in charge of providing the firm’s teams with the tools needed to better help their clients. Recent examples include an interactive data site system that allows global life sciences clients to monitor multi-jurisdictional projects; and an extranet for the management of the relationship with clients from the FMCG sector. Ian Gruselle is the head of the trade mark portfolio practice, while Simon Clark directs the brands, design and copyright practice. Paul Walsh moved on to a consultant position with the firm in 2020.
London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
The team at Bristows LLP has exceptional capabilities in trade mark litigation, with Jeremy Blum and co-head Simon Clark leading on high-profile passing off disputes for international entertainment, pharmaceuticals and retail companies. Clark also takes the lead on digital copyright, design and data disputes, including recent law-making litigation surrounding the use of website cookies. Paul Jordan specialises in brand protection work for creative and print media companies; co-head Ian Gruselle’s trade mark portfolio practice contributes to the 360-degree approach on this front. The extensive transactional IP bench consists of devoted partners Claire Smith, co-head Matthew Warren and Richard Dickinson. The firm advises leading global brands in luxury retail, consumer electronics, FMCG and hi-tech on licensing and collaboration agreements, R&D and brand exploitation exercises. Paul Walsh has retired from the partnership, but remains at the firm on a consultancy basis.
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- PATMA: Trade mark attorneys - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > PATMA: Trade mark attorneys
- Industry focus > TMT
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax