Simon Clark > Bristows LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Bristows LLP Offices
100 VICTORIA EMBANKMENT
- Go to...
Brands, Design and Copyrights, IP Litigation
Simon specialises in copyright and design rights, database rights, trade marks, passing off, domain names and breach of confidence.
As a litigator he has acted for clients in the High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court, Court of Justice of the EU, as well as in the Copyright Tribunal and the IP Enterprise Court, including appearing as a Solicitor Advocate. He also manages international brand portfolios for clients.
He is particularly active for clients in the design industry, including some of the country’s leading furniture, textile, fashion and product design companies. For example, he acted for the successful defendant in the important design rights case Neptune (Europe) Ltd v DeVol Kitchens Ltd  EWHC 2172 (Pat).
Simon also specialises in online intellectual property issues, such as representing the NLA and six of the national newspapers in the proceedings brought against Meltwater and the PRCA on copyright in newspaper headlines, summaries and internet browsing, which went to the European Court of Justice, the Supreme Court and the Copyright Tribunal.
Simon is an Appointed Person, a judicial role hearing trade mark appeals from the UKIPO, is the Honorary Secretary of BLACA (the British Literary and Artistic Copyright Association), a member of INTA’s EU Design Reform Task Force and the INTA Rights of Publicity Committee, a tutor on the Oxford IP Diploma course, the co-author of “Intellectual Property”, a text book published by Palgrave MacMillan, currently in its sixth edition, is an Editorial Advisory Board member of the European Copyright and Design Reports and sits on the Advisory Panel of Intellectual Property Magazine.
Appointed Person for trade marks
Honorary Secretary of BLACA (the British Literary and Artistic Copyright Association)
Tutor on the Oxford IP Diploma course
Member of the Designs Committee of INTA
Cardiff University 1989 LLB Hons
London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design(Leading individuals)
Praised as a ‘tremendous’ practice, Bristows LLP’s broad IP offering is noted for its expertise in the technology, life science and consumer products sectors. Matthew Warren, Paul Jordan and Ian Gruselle lead the practice, with the former possessing considerable expertise in advising clients on publishing transactions in relation to the academic and educational sector. ‘Rock star’ Jordan undertakes significant brand portfolio work and trade mark registry disputes. Other names to note include ‘creative’ Jeremy Blum, who specialises in contentious IP and advises on a full spectrum of trade mark, copyright and design matters. ‘Efficient’ Simon Clark is vastly experienced in the litigation sphere, focusing on digital and online issues, such as copyright and database rights. Further bolstering the practice is Richard Dickinson, who is well-versed in handling commercial transactions and advisory work, and Nellie Jackson, who has a wealth of experience in brand protection and exploitation, international trade mark portfolio management, and IP disputes.
With advertising and brand protection expert Paul Jordan at the helm, Bristows LLP is the first port of call to an extensive number of computer game and social media giants. The team’s varied workload includes advice pertaining to IP protection and infringement, advertising and marketing, compliance, data protection, competition law and commercial contracts. Simon Clark is also recommended for his recent involvement in copyright litigations of international significance.
Bristows LLP‘s practice has notable experience in commercial disputes involving the technology, life sciences and consumer products sectors, as well as claims concerning industrial markets. The group’s caseload also regularly features contractual issues, commercial law matters and confidentiality aspects. Mark Brown is a specialist in life sciences, Pharma and digital content disputes; Anna Cook is ‘a very savvy, experienced litigator‘; Simon Clark is an expert in digital media and breach of confidence-related claims; and Angela Fouracre acts in commercial contract disputes. Of counsel Robert Graham ‘always finds the clever points‘, while senior associate Westley Walker assists with business-critical disputes.
Bristows LLP is a regular advisor to leading film and television clients, with expertise in financing and production, together with distribution matters for streamers, broadcasters and theatrical distributors. Paul Jordan, a renowned expert on issues arising around advertising and brand protection, co-heads the practice with Richard Dickinson, who focuses on commercial transactions involving the development, exploitation and protection of IP rights. Appointed Person Simon Clark has a particular specialism in digital and online copyright issues.
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Leading individuals London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Media: Digital content & social London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Media: Film & TV London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Commercial litigation: mid-market London > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: Smaller Deals, £10m-£100m
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media: Digital content & social
- Industry focus > TMT
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media: Advertising & marketing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media: Film & TV
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > PATMA: Trade mark attorneys
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Employment > Employers