Mr Kit Sorrell > FS Legal > Altrincham, England > Lawyer Profile
FS Legal Offices
12 Oxford Road
- Go to...
Mr Kit Sorrell
Kit is personally ranked as a Leader in the Field in both Commercial Litigation and Professional Negligence in Chambers & Partners. He is also recognised in Legal 500’s ‘Hall of Fame’ as a Leading Individual in both Commercial Litigation and Professional Negligence. He is the only lawyer in the entire North West to be ranked by Legal 500’s ‘Hall of Fame’ in the field of Professional Negligence and in Commercial Litigation (elsewhere in the North West).
With over 30 years’ experience, Kit Sorrell is a highly renowned litigation specialist. He acts in complex high value commercial matters such as contract disputes, minority shareholder claims, property disputes and also acts for both high net worth individuals and corporate entities in complex and high value professional negligence claims against, by way of example, tax advisers, solicitors, property professionals and independent financial advisers.
Kit is nationally recognised as a Leader in the Field and is recommended in both Chambers UK Guide and Legal 500 where he is described as a ‘great tactician and inspires real confidence in his clients’ and a ‘great tactician who knows how to plot the outcome of a case from the very outset’.
Kit has developed a particular specialism in commercial construction disputes of all types in his many years of acting for well-known national property developers and is a founding member of the firm’s specialist Construction Disputes Team.
Kit is also widely known for leading the way in Professional Negligence claims against financial and tax advisers in particular claims involving tax avoidance and mitigation schemes. Kit was amongst the very first lawyers to be instructed on the high profile Film Scheme Tax Partnership cases and to issue the first High Court proceedings against advisers who recommended such schemes. Kit has become known as the ‘go-to’ lawyer for well-known sports and media personalities in this field. Kit has been interviewed by the Financial Times on a number of occasions and quoted in numerous articles in the FT, The Mail on Sunday, FT Adviser, Money Marketing and IFA Online.
- Halsall v Champion Consulting Ltd  EWHC 1079 (QB)
Represented the claimants in a £6M claim arising out of tax avoidance schemes. This widely reported case is believed to be one of the first claims of this type to reach the courts.
- Acting for a group of high net worth individuals in a £5M claim against an international law practice arising out of negligent conduct of litigation initially brought against their accountants and tax advisers.
- Acting for a client in a seven-figure professional negligence claim against Gibraltar based IFA company arising out of the clients’ investment into a £50M failed investment scheme.
- Acting for minority shareholder in a shareholder dispute in relation to his holding in a highly successful engineering company. Action resolved with an order for the purchase of his shares on very satisfactory terms.
- Acting for a national property/property development company in Judicial Review proceedings challenging enforcement orders made by the Authority which threatened a regeneration scheme the value of which ran to many hundreds of millions of pounds.
- Acting for a sports management company in a dispute over the ‘ownership’ of a very high profile premier league professional footballer.
- Acting for Morris Homes Group, the country’s largest privately owned house builder, in a number of complex seven-figure claims against various property professionals.
- FS Legal – Partner, 2014 to date
- Pannone LLP – Partner, 2006 – 2014
- Wacks Caller – Partner, 2000 – 2006
- DWF- Partner, 1983 – 2000
Kit joined Liverpool practice Bremner Sons & Corlett before joining DWF in 1983 and founding the litigation department. In 2000 he joined Wacks Caller before heading the professional negligence team at Pannone in 2006. In 2014 Kit opened the Manchester Office of FS Legal where he is a Partner.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Litigation boutique FS Legal is highly regarded for handling landmark commercial cases on behalf of notable corporates and ultra-high-net-worth individuals. The firm is also singled out as fielding a ‘a high concentration of “big hitters” in one place‘. The offering is jointly led by Kit Sorrell and Julia Norris; the former is regarded as a ‘living legend in dispute resolution‘ and handles mandates ranging from contractual and warranty claims, to arbitration and expert determinations, injunctions, and judicial review proceedings, while the latter is much lauded as a ‘dedicated professional negligence expert‘.
FS Legal, a litigation boutique, advises claimants in relation to tax negligence and professional services disputes. Julia Norris heads the team, with expertise in tax-related claims. Co-head Kit Sorrell is an experienced litigator, specialising in claims against financial and tax advisors involving tax avoidance and mitigation schemes. Legal directors Nicola Stanley and Christine Newton are recognised for handling claims for banks as well as clients in the manufacturing, engineering and construction sectors, respectively.
- Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the North West - North West > Dispute resolution
- Hall of Fame - North West > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the North West
- Hall of Fame - North West > Insurance > Professional negligence
- Professional negligence - North West > Insurance