Bruce Kilpatrick > Addleshaw Goddard > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Addleshaw Goddard Offices
60 CHISWELL STREET
- Go to...
Partner in the Addleshaw Goddard competition group, based in London, specialising in UK and EC competition and merger control law. Represents clients across a wide variety of sectors, including financial services, IT, industry, transport and retail and has acted on a wide range of cases in the UK and EC. These include: advising clients in recent CMA competition investigations (including construction and e-books); advising clients on recent merger control investigations (including Omnicell/Surgichem and Alliance Medical/IBA Molecular); advising clients in CMA market studies, market investigations, including retail banking, private motor insurance, PPI and NI banking.
Trained Linklaters, qualified 2000; partner, Addleshaw Goddard LLP from January 2008.
Law Society European Group; committee member of Competition Law Association; deputy secretary-general of LIDC.
Glenalmond College, Perthshire (1993); Cambridge University (1996, Law (MA) 1st class); College of Law, York (1997 LPC); Kings College London (2001 LLM module).
Rugby, golf, running.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Addleshaw Goddard has a compact but dedicated competition team in London, supported by the wider firm’s network across the UK and internationally. The team has ‘the bandwidth to deal with all types of competition work’; the ‘technically excellent’ Bruce Kilpatrick is known for his expertise in merger control. Mark Molyneux heads the competition litigation practice from Manchester, while Rona Bar-Isaac has a depth of experience in complex market investigations.
Addleshaw Goddard‘s competition disputes practice draws considerable praise from clients, which turn to the team for its capabilities in regulatory appeals and high-stakes proceedings before the CAT and the High Court. Practice chair Mark Molyneux is a ‘superb strategist‘ who regularly handles high-stakes follow-on damages actions in a range of sectors, while the ‘brilliant‘ Bruce Kilpatrick‘s recent engagements include administrative and opt-in collective proceedings before the CAT and the CMA. Rona Bar-Isaac is noted for her ‘calm leadership and excellent judgment‘ in energy sector judicial review challenges. Paul Chaplin, who joined the team from Hogan Lovells International LLP in February 2022, specialises in cross-border group actions.
Addleshaw Goddard impresses with its breadth, which covers competition enforcement work, merger control issues, competition litigation and counselling matters. Together with its London and Manchester office, the group regularly acts for national and international clients, and is also highlighted for its subsidy and investment control knowledge. Firm-wide team heads Bruce Kilpatrick and Mark Molyneux are based in London, and Elizabeth Turner is the key contact in Leeds.
Addleshaw Goddard‘s reputation as a go-to advisor for the full gamut of antitrust mandates ensures that a roster of major corporates instructs the team to assist with the most complex competition enforcement and merger control matters. The firm is particularly well regarded for its cutting edge work on regulated cases; in a recent example, the group was involved with the judicial review of a CMA decision made in its tribunal capacity. The London-based Bruce Kilpatrick and Mark Molyneux take the lead on advisory and litigious work, respectively. Over in Manchester, Samantha Haigh and managing associate Mark Crane are recommended.
- Hall of Fame - London > Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Competition litigation - London > Dispute resolution
- EU and competition - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Asset based lending
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Transport > Rail
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Real estate > Social housing: finance
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Water
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Risk advisory > Corporate governance
- Employment > Employers
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Investment fund formation and management > Fund finance
- Employment > Health and safety
- Public sector > Healthcare
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Infrastructure
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Private prosecutions
- Insurance > Product liability: defendant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Finance > Debt capital markets
- Employment > Employee share schemes
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Insurance > Insurance litigation: for policyholders
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Employment > Pensions: dispute resolution
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property finance
- Investment fund formation and management > Real estate funds
- Finance > Securitisation
- Finance > Trade finance
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Transport > Aviation
- Finance > Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Finance > Derivatives and structured products
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Finance > Transport finance and leasing