Mr Richard Goodfellow > Addleshaw Goddard > Leeds, England > Lawyer Profile
Addleshaw Goddard Offices
3 SOVEREIGN SQUARE
- Go to...
Mr Richard Goodfellow
Infrastructure, projects and energy.
Partner and Head of Energy & Utilities Market
Denton Hall 1996-99; qualified 1998; Addleshaw Goddard 1999; partner 2006.
Board member Strategic Investment Board 2007-2009; Head of Legal Northern Ireland Energy Regulator 2010-2012; Board member Local Enterprise Partnership 2013-2016; Chamber of Commerce Board Member 2016 to present
Regent House Grammar, Northern Ireland; University of Dundee.
Family, Mountaineering, Church
Yorkshire and the Humber > Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Energy(Leading individuals)
Addleshaw Goddard‘s practice counts ‘Big Six’ energy companies and high-profile corporates as key clients, which it advises on all issues across power, nuclear, renewables, oil and gas, water and energy litigation. Richard Goodfellow, Paul Dight and John Emerton jointly lead the team; Goodfellow specialises in downstream energy work, Dight handles energy infrastructure and regulation matters, and Emerton is an energy sector litigator. James Reynolds leads the nuclear team, David Shaw focuses on utilities work while managing associate Alex Clayton has experience in smart metering projects.
Yorkshire and the Humber > Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Infrastructure(Leading individuals)
Addleshaw Goddard has a notable reputation in the PFI secondary market, with the infrastructure team benefiting from the strength of the firm’s national energy and transport departments, which are both led out of Leeds. The group handles matters across the renewables, utilities, rail, airport, electric vehicle and ports sectors. Richard Goodfellow heads up the national infrastructure, projects and energy group and is experienced in PPP matters, Paul Dight has expertise in projects and regulatory mandates, and Paul Hirst handles transport work, particularly in the rail sector.
Yorkshire and the Humber > Public sector > Local government
Addleshaw Goddard‘s local government practice handles major transactions, projects, competition work, infrastructure matters, procurement, real estate issues and litigation for local authorities across the country. Group leader Andrew Pettinger is experienced in outsourcing transactions and Richard Goodfellow leads the infrastructure, projects and energy team.
London > Public sector > Local government
The team at Addleshaw Goddard offers a host of services to local authorities in connection with regeneration and redevelopment work, transport projects, outsourcing contracts (including ICT contracts), financing and refinancing. Mike O’Connor and Andrew Pettinger lead the practice and Richard Goodfellow, who heads the infrastructure, projects and energy group, handles major transactions that include PPPs, project financing and renewables matters. Rob Thompson also has a focus on energy as well as the waste and health sectors.
London > Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
The energy and utilities lawyers at Addleshaw Goddard have recently handled a number of significant transactions in the oil and gas space across a number of jurisdictions. The full-service offering covers the acquisition, divestiture, structuring, development and financing of oil and gas assets across the entire energy value chain, including upstream, midstream and downstream. In recent highlights, the group advised BP on its investment in solar developer Lightsource. In London, the main name to note is Guy Winter, while Richard Goodfellow and John Emerton are based in the Leeds office. Anna Nerush recently joined Haynes and Boone CDG, LLP.
London > Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
Addleshaw Goddard works with a big-name roster of energy majors and corporates with increasing energy requirements. Renewables and the decentralisation of energy generation are a particular of focus for the team, with significant sources of work coming from its thriving smart metering practice. The team is also active in the nuclear energy space, advising on new builds, decommissioning, research and development. Major recent work has included advising Macquarie Principal Finance on its agreement with Amazon to fund and develop roof-top solar panels on Amazon’s UK bases. Richard Goodfellow heads up the firm’s infrastructure, projects and energy group.
London > Projects, energy and natural resources > Infrastructure (including PFI and PPP)
Addleshaw Goddard is well versed in PPP and PFI related matters. The team is engaged by public and private clients and has considerable experience in infrastructure projects in the renewable, information and communication technology sectors as well as transport. Work includes advising infrastructure asset funds and investors on the PFI secondary market regarding the buying and selling of stakes. Practice head Richard Goodfellow splits his time between Leeds and London and is a key contact for energy and renewable matters. Paul Hirst in Leeds has particular experience of the rail industry.
- Energy - Yorkshire and the Humber > Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI)
- Leading individuals - Yorkshire and the Humber > Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Energy
- Leading individuals - Yorkshire and the Humber > Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Infrastructure
- Local government - Yorkshire and the Humber > Public sector
- Infrastructure - Yorkshire and the Humber > Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Human resources > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Energy
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- Human resources > Pensions
- Insurance > Professional negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Public sector > Health
- Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Infrastructure
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Real estate > Planning