The Legal 500

Twitter Logo Youtube Circle Icon LinkedIn Icon
Work 0207 851 8888

Simon Whitehead

Work 020 7851 8800
Joseph Hage Aaronson LLP

Work Department

Consultant; Tax Disputes


Simon was a founding partner of the firm. He has more than 30 years of litigation experience and has spent more than 15 years exclusively focusing on contentious tax, mostly in direct tax and particularly corporation tax.

Simon has been selected as the lead and test-case solicitor in most group litigation orders in the Chancery Division of the High Court, in which multinational company groups challenge the lawfulness of various UK corporate tax imposts. He established the first ever Group Litigation Order in the Administrative Court, which successfully challenged HMRC’s practice in assessing the tax transfer of pension savings to foreign pension funds.

He also represents UK tax payers, including high-net-worth individuals, on tax investigations and disputes at every level of the UK Courts and he has also appeared before the CJEU


Admitted as a solicitor of the Australian Federal Court and High Court

Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales

Admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales

Member of the Law Society of England and Wales

Member of the Law Society of New South Wales


University of Sydney - PhD

University of Sydney - LLB

University of Sydney - BA (first class honours)

IHL Briefings

If your firm wishes to publish IHL Briefings or articles, please contact Antony Dine on +44 (0) 207 396 9315 or


United Kingdom: Tax (3rd edition)

October 2018. By Simon Whitehead, Partner

This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to tax laws and regulations that may occur in the  United Kingdom . It will cover witholding tax, transfer pricing, the OECD model, GAAR, tax disputes and an overview of the jurisdictional regulatory authorities. This Q&A is part of the global guide to Tax. [Continue Reading]

Back to index

Legal Developments in London

Legal Developments and updates from the leading lawyers in each jurisdiction. To contribute, send an email request to