Simon Etchells > gunnercooke LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
gunnercooke LLP Offices
- Go to...
Simon is a dual-qualified real estate lawyer with 35 years’ experience in the sector, working on the coordination and delivery of a range of complex property transactions across the UK.
He has been instrumental in establishing a leading practice in Scotland offering UK cross border real estate services. A wide range of deal experience allows him to help clients beyond just legal advice.
Simon is known for the rapid building of trusted relationships with clients and being a driven, innovative deal doer. He is very well connected across the UK property industry.
Simon deals with retail, leisure, office and shopping centre investment and developments, strategic real estate advice to corporates, joint ventures, residential developments, inward investment for overseas clients, all forms of commercial leasing (for landlords and tenants), land option arrangements, large scale transaction management, and business development. He has been involved in the generation and conduct of £5,000m+ of real estate investment and funding deals since 2003.
Simon has been ranked by both the Legal 500 and Chambers UK directories as a key practitioner in both England and Scotland.
Previous Law Firms
- Real Estate Partner, Dentons UK and Middle East LLP (2017–21)
- Real Estate Partner, Maclay Murray and Spens LLP (2013–17)
- Real Estate Partner, Semple Fraser LLP (1990–2013)
- Real Estate Assistant Bird Semple Fyfe Ireland WS (1987–90)
- University of Edinburgh, Law LLB (Hons) (1980–85)
Off duty, Simon’s passions are skiing, sailing, books and wine (all enjoyed with his family) … and fixing things.
gunnercooke LLP entered the Scottish market in May 2021, opening offices in Glasgow and Edinburgh. As part of the process, Simon Etchells, a lawyer with 35 years worth of experience in developments and investments, was recruited from Dentons to front the practice; he arrived with a track record in handling shopping centre, retail, leisure, office, restaurant and student accommodation assets and is supported by the firm’s wider construction, corporate, finance and litigation capabilities.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Securitisation
- Finance > Securitisation
- Finance > Transport finance and leasing
- Transport > Rail
- Finance > Trade finance
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Real estate > Property finance
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation