Helen Miles > gunnercooke LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
gunnercooke LLP Offices
- Go to...
Helen has been a specialist pensions lawyer for over 25 years, dealing with all aspects of pensions advice to trustees and corporates. She advises on schemes of all sizes, and works closely with a number of professional trustees.
As well as advising on governance and compliance for schemes, Helen has many years’ experience of advising on pensions issues in corporate transactions and reorganisation, including Pensions Regulator clearance, negotiation of mitigation packages, apportionment arrangements and the implications of pensions on TUPE transfers.
In recent years, Helen has worked on many scheme mergers (including high value mergers) and demergers, buy-ins, buy-outs and other liability management projects. She advises trustees on the terms of scheme investment arrangements and contingent assets.
Helen has worked with trustees on Pensions Ombudsman disputes, judicial review issues and other contentious matters.
Helen is Chair of the NHS Pensions Board, appointed by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care. The NHS Pensions Board is the statutory body responsible for governance of the NHS Pension Scheme.
Previous Law Firms
- Squire Patton Boggs UK LLP ⸺ Partner
- DLA Piper UK LLP ⸺ Partner
- Eversheds ⸺ Senior Associate
- Rated as a Leading Individual for Pensions Law in the Midlands in Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession since 2001, and recognised in the Legal 500 since 2002.
- Association of Pension Lawyers ⸺ member since 1994; Chair of the Midlands Group 2014/15.
- Expert witness (legal) to the Parliamentary Work & Pensions Select Committee’s Enquiry into the Defined Benefit Pensions White Paper (2018).
- Acritas ‘Star’ lawyers ⸺ listed for 2018, 2019 and 2020 (nominated by clients).
- Shortlisted for two categories in the Professional Pensions Women in Pensions Awards 2019 (Mentor of the Year and Role Model of the Year).
- Guardian of the Standard of Wrought Plate in Birmingham (member of the governing body of the Birmingham Assay Office) and member of the Appointments and Remuneration Committee of the Birmingham Assay Office. Trustee of the Birmingham Assay Office Pension Scheme.
- Member of Council of Birmingham Metropolitan College.
- Nottingham University ⸺ LLB
- Nottingham Trent University ⸺ Law Society Finals
- Aston University ⸺ Diploma in Psychology
Clients feel that gunnercooke LLP‘s modern, flexible structure ‘makes it very agile – in the post-pandemic world they seem to be pulling in well-respected partners from all over the country‘. The team benefits from the firm’s professional trustee company, gcTrustees, which acts as a trustee of numerous pension schemes. Parminder Latimer advises trustees, employers and individuals on all aspects of pensions issues, in addition to working with the corporate department in transactions involving defined benefit and public sector schemes. Helen Miles is chair of the NHS pensions board and is experienced in matters requiring clearance from the pensions regulator. Adam Bushby is well-versed in de-riskings, GMP equalisations and pension scheme winding-ups.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Securitisation
- Finance > Securitisation
- Finance > Transport finance and leasing
- Transport > Rail
- Finance > Trade finance
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Real estate > Property finance
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation