Joanna Forbes > Shakespeare Martineau LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shakespeare Martineau LLP Offices
NO 1 COLMORE SQUARE
- Go to...
Joanna’s deep affinity for the education sector is reflected in her responsive approach and her practical, applied and thorough advice.
As a member of the firm’s education team, Joanna works exclusively for higher and further education clients and has over 20 years’ experience of advising on a wide variety of student-related issues including policies and procedures, discipline, complaints and appeals, equality and immigration. She also advises on governance, constitutional and regulatory issues and on academic collaborations both in the UK and overseas.
“I enjoy working with education institutions to find solutions to the wide variety of challenges they face.”
Shakespeare Martineau LLP‘s practice is led by the ‘excellent‘ Smita Jamdar, who advises higher education bodies on regulatory, constitutional, governance and student-related matters. The team is experienced in handling high-value, complex and often sensitive matters pertaining to students, an area where Geraldine Swanton is a particular specialist. Other key members of the group include Birmingham-based Joanna Forbes; employment lawyer Tom Long, who specialises in advising large public sector clients on whistleblowing and discrimination; David Browne; and Ruth Phillips.
Praised for its ‘deep knowledge of education law‘, Shakespeare Martineau LLP has outstanding expertise in advising higher education clients on a range of matters, including employment, data protection, governance, student and university relationships, development and construction. The team is particularly strong in employment litigation and handles unfair and constructive dismissal proceedings, whistleblowing, discrimination, and harassment claims as well as other senior management and student disputes. Practice head Smita Jamdar ‘carries much credence and respect‘ in the sector, and is supported on the employment side by lead employment partner David Browne and employment litigator Tom Long. Director Geraldine Swanton and Joanna Forbes are also recommended for their ‘insightful, pragmatic and clear advice‘.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy
- Human resources > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Human resources > Employment
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant