Barry Jervis > Shakespeare Martineau LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shakespeare Martineau LLP Offices
NO 1 COLMORE SQUARE
- Go to...
Partner & Head of Litigation
Barry brings a no-nonsense approach to resolving disputes for his clients whilst involving them at every stage of the process.
As head of litigation and dispute resolution, Barry is renowned for leaving no stone unturned when dealing with client’s disputes, which range from contractual issues and restrictive covenant claims through to injunctions and shareholder disputes.
Clients range from SMEs to blue chip global household name corporations.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP handles a diverse contentious workload which ranges from shareholder and partnership disputes to defamation claims and agricultural disputes. It also stands out for its unique experience handling education sector disputes and sensitive issues surrounding children, as well as judicial review proceedings and cyber litigation. Lincoln-based team head Jonathan Stork has particular knowledge of agricultural disputes, while fellow litigator Daniel Jennings – based in Leicester – is recommended for corporate claims and international arbitration. Barry Jervis heads the national department from the firm’s office in Birmingham.
The ‘always strategic, efficient, and effective’ team at Shakespeare Martineau LLP has a ‘well-deserved reputation for doing a superb job in a thoroughly decent way’. Areas of focus for the group include shareholder disputes, warranty claims, contractual claims, data protection, and professional negligence. Barry Jervis leads the team and is commended for having the ‘right blend of pragmatism, bullishness, and decency’. Ben Humphreys is also key to the team and he is noted for his ‘fine intellect and sharp analysis.’ James Woolstenhulme is described by one client as ‘fearless’ and is particularly recommended for shareholder disputes, injunctions, and procurement issues.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP fields a ‘formidable team‘. In January 2023, commercial disputes specialist Mark Rondel joined as partner from EMW Law LLP to head the dispute resolution team in London, where recently-elevated partner Sneha Nainwal is India desk head. Barry Jervis leads the nationwide dispute resolution and litigation practice from Birmingham; and Nicola Holton, who divides her time between London and Milton Keynes, heads the firm’s insolvency litigation offering. Legal director Catherine Hammerson-Jones is the firm’s leading lawyer for Quincecare claims.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Social housing
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Private client > Family: elsewhere in the West Midlands
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant