William Angas > PDT Solicitors > Horsham, England > Lawyer Profile
PDT Solicitors Offices
36-48 QUEEN STREET
- Go to...
Dispute Resolution, Insolvency & Corporate Recovery
Partner, Head of Dispute Resolution, Co-Head of Insolvency and Corporate Restructuring
William is a partner, head of the Dispute Resolution department and co-head of the Insolvency & Restructuring department.
As may be seen from the cases referred to below, William has a wide-ranging practice in commercial disputes and contentious insolvency developed over 15 years.
William has also developed a niche specialism in assisting clients in the factoring, invoice finance and Asset Based Lending sector recover losses under finance agreements. This often includes pursuing orders to freeze assets and enforcing guarantees, indemnities and legal charges.
William deals with all contentious corporate and personal insolvency matters, assisting office holders pursue claims against directors and shareholders of insolvent companies, or individuals. William has developed a particular specialism (supported by several recent reported authorities) in recovering unlawful dividends and/or unauthorised remuneration from shareholders and/or directors. In addition, William advises on antecedent claims including transactions at undervalue, preferences, misfeasance claims, possession proceedings and disputes concerning beneficial interests in residential property.
Key Recent Work Highlights:
- Acted for liquidator with successful breach of contract claim against major high street retailer
- Obtained summary judgment in High Court for invoice financier when a certificate of indebtedness was found to be conclusive as to the Defendant’s liability and quantum
- Acted for administrators of Toys R Us to recover large, disputed balances owed by international trade vendors
- Obtained judgment for liquidators in the High Court (upheld in the Court of Appeal) that remuneration and dividends received were unlawful and repayable
- Negotiated settlement terms for liquidator challenging fees debited under a US invoice finance agreement as unlawful
- Recovered for liquidator preferential payments of c£500,000 from directors, shareholders and associates
- Acting for Trustees to sell bankrupts’ properties, challenging declarations of trust and claims to beneficial interest
- Defending trustee’s decision regarding adjudication on proofs of debt
- Richard Toone & Kevin Murphy v Dean Robbins & Richard Robbins  BCC 728
- Catalyst Business Finance Limited v Very Tangy Television Limited, Richard Tuckwell & Very Tangy Media Limited  EWCH 1669 (QB)
- Steve Domsalla (trading as Domsalla Building Services) v Kenneth Dyason  EWHC 1174 (TCC)”
PDT Solicitors has a strong contentious and non-contentious insolvency offering with expertise in advising clients in the field of invoice finance and asset-based lending. The firm is frequently instructed on matters such as pursuing damages claims, personal insolvency matters, acting for directors in disqualification proceedings and drafting security documentation. Contentious corporate expert William Angas co-heads the practice with Dawn Shadwell who specialises in advising asset-based lenders on refinancing and restructuring matters. Ian Lindley and Craig Burton are notable practitioners.
The commercial dispute resolution team at the Horsham office of PDT Solicitors works closely with the wider firm’s corporate, commercial and employment teams to quickly advise and resolve contentious issues. Team head William Angas has a track record of handling complex claims in the High Court, and the team continues to develop its expertise in the media, recruitment, aviation, and food and drink industries.
At PDT Solicitors in Horsham, the ‘varied skill set within the team‘ translates into expertise in the asset-based lending, invoice finance, recruitment and retail sectors. A recent high-profile case for the group involved the administration of a well-known double glazing company with recoveries of over £1m. The debt recovery team is headed up by Gina Hope, while William Angas is overall head of commercial litigation at the firm.
- Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex - South East > Dispute resolution
- Debt recovery - South East > Dispute resolution
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - South East > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Public sector
- Employment > Employment: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Property litigation