Michael Carter > Gowling WLG > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Gowling WLG Offices
- Go to...
Automotive; Intellectual Property; Brands; Designs
Feedback on a particular piece of work from a US Attorney
Michael Carter is a senior associate in our award winning intellectual property team, with particular experience of enforcing a broad range of intellectual property rights. Having spent time on secondment at two leading automotive brands, he understands the challenges involved in building and maintaining a strong brand identity, and protecting the intellectual property rights in the technology which underpins the business.
In particular, Michael has considerable practical experience of:
- how trade mark and design law is applied throughout Europe and the Middle East from his role coordinating anti-counterfeiting and enforcement strategies for clients with global IP portfolios
- advising in relation to design rights and patents, particularly in respect of clearance and enforcement matters, and
- guiding clients through proceedings before the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, which has proven to be a popular forum for companies to enforce their IP rights in a proportionate and cost-effective manner. Michael’s understanding of the procedural rules and the importance of pinpointing the strengths and weaknesses of a case at an early stage, has often results in a successful outcome.
Michael frequently needs to cooperate closely with other lawyers and trade mark or patent attorneys, including those located overseas, and understands the importance of clear communication in ensuring consistency of approach; whether in the development of a brand strategy or a complex multi-jurisdiction patent dispute.
Recently, Michael has also recently taken a leading role in preparing the team for the development of the Unitary Patent and the Unified Patent Court for the team. He is therefore well placed to advise clients on the proposals and how best to prepare for them.
Michael acts for a diverse range of local and international clients across the automotive, technology and manufacturing sectors. He has acted for some of the most famous brands in the automotive sector including Aston Martin Lagonda Limited, Mercedes-Benz and Triumph Motorcycles.
Managing the strategic enforcement of IP rights in the Dyson Bladeless fan range in Europe and the Middle East and overseeing the IP enforcement strategy for A Nelson & Co Ltd in the Americas and Europe.
Acting for a manufacturer of composite products against allegations of patent infringement in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, with simultaneous opposition proceedings pending before the EPO.
Supporting Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd in relation to intellectual property matters, with specific responsibility for overseeing brand extension activities.
Part of the team involved in successfully defending a UK manufacturer of automotive parts against claims of patent infringement by a large German corporation in the Patents County Court (as it then was), resulting in one of the largest costs awards seen in the court at the time.
Helping to advise a designer and manufacture of showers successfully enforce their registered and unregistered design rights in proceedings before the Patents County Court (as it then was).
Acting for a manufacturer of composite products against allegations of patent infringement in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court.
Lawyer Rankings(Rising stars)
Split between Birmingham and London, the ‘responsive, helpful, pragmatic and wise‘ IP team at Gowling WLG offers a global IP practice that handles a full range of transactional and contentious intellectual property issues. In particular, the team specialises in tech patent litigation, life sciences, sponsorships and designs litigation. Team leader Kate Swaine has a strong track record in international brand strategy and enforcement as well as being the co-head of IP for the firm internationally. Patrick Duxbury utilises his background as a microbiologist to expertly handle life science matters. Senior associate Michael Carter is also recommended for his expertise in IP licensing and enforcement.
- Intellectual property - West Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Rising stars - West Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Pensions
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation