John Burns > Gowling WLG > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Gowling WLG Offices
- Go to...
Partner specialising in commercial property transactions (investment and development).
Articled Wragge & Co; qualified 1990; partner 1998; Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co, partner, 2014.
King Edward VI School, Lichfield; University of Nottingham (1986 BA Law).
Rugby, hockey, hill walking.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
‘Commercially astute with a keen eye for detail‘, Gowling WLG‘s eminent real estate practice is consistently sought out by an enviable lineup of developers, investors, and blue-chip corporate occupiers for its capabilities in big-ticket projects. Practice head Richard Bate is a seasoned market presence with decades of experience in residential development matters, helping to deliver numerous consortium developments, planning and infrastructure agreements, and mixed-use schemes. Duncan Murphy acts as the go-to advisor for many of the nation’s top house builders and sports stadiums, advising on big-ticket transactions as well as the full scope of commercial concerns. John Burns is a highly experienced advisor to clients in the industrial developer community, with recent highlights including major regeneration projects in the manufacturing sector. Logistics co-chair Mike Trainer attracts superlative praise for his ‘formidable‘ and ‘incredibly insightful‘ work on developments in the logistics, office, retail, and energy sectors. Helen Emmerson heads up the firm’s energy and utility real estate offering as well as its corporate occupier desk, and is particularly noted for her capabilities in large-scale renewable energy projects. Matthew Walker, who heads up the firm’s student accommodation offering, is also noted for his expertise in industrial and logistics, retail and office sectors. All named lawyers are based in Birmingham.
- Commercial property: Birmingham - West Midlands > Real estate
- Hall of Fame - West Midlands > Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Pensions
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation