Jason Chess > Wiggin LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Wiggin LLP Offices
9TH FLOOR, MET BUILDING
22 PERCY STREET
- Go to...
Betting and gaming.
Jason is a partner and co-head of the Betting and Gaming group. Jason has a particular expertise in electronic betting and gaming, as well as all types of lotteries, competitions and promotions. He represents both the platforms and operators providing electronic gambling and also the brand and media owners who use remote gambling to monetise existing audiences. He advises upon the regulation and marketing of betting and gaming as well as the associated issues of distribution and sponsorship. Jason is a member of the International Masters of Gaming Law and sits on the Editorial Board of the World Online Gambling Law Report.
Trained Wiggin & Co; qualified 1995; assistant Wiggin & Co 1995-2000; partner Wiggin & Co 2001.
International Masters of Gaming Law.
Porthcawl Comprehensive School, Glamorgan; University College, Oxford (1986 BA, MA; 1991 MPhil).
Pre-conquest insular palaeography; fishing; walking the Cotswolds. Member of Cymdeithas Yr Iaith Gymraeg (Welsh Language Society), Vincent’s Oxford and Campaign for Real Ale.
Wiggin LLP’s ‘leading combination of specialists’ are a go-to practice for all types of regulatory work; the team advise on licensing, compliance, regulatory investigations and international risk strategies. The firm also advises on corporate issues including M&A, joint ventures, buyouts, and restructuring. Jason Chess specialises in advising the most high-profile clients in the online gambling sector, representing both platforms and operators. Chess co-leads the team alongside Stephen Ketteley, who has added a focus on the UK land-based casino sector to his longstanding online expertise in 2019. David McLeish has an ‘outstanding sector track record’ of advising some of the industry’s leading names on corporate, commercial and regulatory matters.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Gaming and betting
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market