Emma Collins > Weightmans LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Weightmans LLP Offices
No 1 Spinningfields
- Go to...
Family law partner with expertise in all aspects of family law, in particular high value/complex financial matters for both married and unmarried couples including trusts , companies, partnerships , third party interests , offshore assets, jurisdictional issues; regularly receives referrals from a variety of legal and other professionals and business people. Also advises on pre/post nuptial and cohabitation agreements, complex children issues, Schedule I , TOLATA and Inheritance Act matters.
Trained Mace & Jones; qualified 1994; partner 2001, joined Weightmans May 2011 as partner post-merger; National Head of Services for Individuals May 2019; formerly sat on Resolution National Committee; member and former chair
Resolution Publication Committee (producing various publications for practitioners, including consent order, pre-nuptial agreement, separation precedents, cohabitation agreements ), member of Resolution Cohabitation Committee and former treasurer of Manchester Region Committee. Contributor to Resolution Family Law Handbook.
Basic French and Spanish.
Resolution-accredited family law specialist in Advanced Financial Provision II and Cohabitation
Liverpool University LLB Law degree 1990; College of Law, Chester Law Society Finals 1991.
Enjoys socialising, running , yoga, singing in choir , gardening, travel, reading, theatre and ballet; member of National Trust, Royal Horticultural Society, Amnesty International
The specialist family team at Weightmans LLP has a national reach and is led by Manchester-based Emma Collins. In Birmingham Fiona O’Sullivan and Tania Derrett-Smith are well-regarded. O’Sullivan advises on the financial aspects of relationship breakdown with particular expertise in pensions. A significant proportion of her work comes from referrals from barristers, judges and other members of the legal profession. Principal associate Derrett-Smith’s areas of practice include divorce, pre- and post-nuptial agreements as well as advising on arrangements for children.
Weightmans LLP advises a client base of high-net-worth clients on pre- and post-nuptial agreements, as well as on divorces. The team stands out for its expertise in handling matters with an international dimension; many of its clients own assets such as foreign property, multinational businesses and offshore pensions. Emma Collins leads the national family law team, with Carole Atkinson, Fiona Davidson and Fiona Turner also key partners in the team. All have decades of experience in advising on complex financial matters related to relationships. Associate Rachel Lim is another name to note, with a specialism in advising on divorces involving insolvency and bankruptcy.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Health and safety
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Liverpool
- Real estate > Commercial property: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Social housing
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Real estate > Construction
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant