Simon Colvin > Weightmans LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Weightmans LLP Offices
No 1 Spinningfields
- Go to...
Simon leads the firm’s environmental law team and is also head of the firm’s energy and utilities sector.
Simon is client relationship partner for a number of our leading energy and utility clients. That role gives him unique insight and understanding of the pressures and requirements that operators in the energy and utility sector are subject to.
He works closely with those clients to understand what is important to them and how we can help them to achieve their goals.
Simon is currently advising on an EfW project in MId-Wales, the roll out of 25 small scale CHP plants nationally, the export of RDF and SRF from the UK, enforcement/prosecutions being brought by the EA and NRW, as well as related civil sanctions, compensation claims pursuant to the WIA 1991, an end of waste application that is now with the Court of Appeal, the disposal of former manufacturing facilities for US corporations for remediation and subsequent development, and the Mersey Tidal project.
Simon is a member of CIWM and writes a regular column in their journal, he is a fellow of IEMA and delivers a quarterly legal update webinar for them, he is also a member of the Institute of Water. He has supported the Broadway initiative and a group of legal experts in supporting DEFRA with the formation of the new Environment Bill.
Weightmans LLP offers clients a range of water-related services, advising on regulatory and competition matters and assisting water and sewerage companies in meeting their statutory duties. Team leader Clive Mottram, who joined the firm in 2021, is a water specialist with over 35 years of in-house and private practice experience. He is an expert on water legislation and advises major water companies on their powers and duties with regard to regulators and customers. Environmental law expert Simon Colvin heads the energy and utilities team and advises companies as to their duties in regard to environmental protection regulations and enforcement actions. Navdip Wilson is recommended for contentious matters.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Liverpool
- Real estate > Commercial property: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Social housing
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Real estate > Construction