Mike Burns > Weightmans LLP > Liverpool, England > Lawyer Profile
Weightmans LLP Offices
100 OLD HALL STREET
- Go to...
Specialises in shipping, marine insurance and commercial litigation. He is experienced in handling both high-value and complex litigation in the Admiralty and Commercial Courts, Mercantile Courts and in London arbitration. Mike’s expertise includes carriage of goods by sea, multimodal transit, CMR claims, freight forwarders’ liability, marine liability defence work and subrogated recoveries. Mike also has a strong marine commercial practice, including vessel sale and purchase, new build and charter contracts, ship management contracts, and advising on commercial projects for major vessel and port operators in the marine arena. Regular contributor to ‘Maritime Risk International’ and ‘Lloyd’s List’.
Trained Withers; qualified 1993; partner Weightmans 2006 to date.
Liverpool Underwriters and Maritime Association; Manchester Marine Insurance Association.
St Francis Xavier’s College, Liverpool; Durham University (1989 BA Hons Law 2(1)).
Family, golf, football, tennis, Everton FC.
North West > TransportWithin: Leading individuals -
Weightmans LLP handles both contentious and non-contentious transport and logistics matters, drawing on the firm’s established insurance and shipping expertise, while also advising on matters relating to risk management, brand protection, contracts, competition, cyber protection, employment and personal injury. Clients include major insurers, fleet operators, freight forwarders, shipping lines, ports and warehouse operators. Phil James heads the team and specialises in claims and litigation. Mike Burns focuses on shipping, marine insurance and commercial litigation.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Human resources > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Liverpool
- Real estate > Commercial property: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Human resources > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Social housing
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Real estate > Construction