Mike Burns > Weightmans LLP > Liverpool, England > Lawyer Profile
Weightmans LLP Offices
100 OLD HALL STREET
- Go to...
Mike trained with Withers and on qualification in 1993 joined specialist London shipping firm More Fisher Brown. Mike joined Weightmans as a partner in May 2006.
Mike’s expertise includes the carriage of goods by sea, charterparty and bill of lading claims, hull and P&I insurance, cargo recoveries, freight liability, multimodal transit, CMR and yacht claims. Mike has a related non-contentious practice including vessel sale and purchase and drafting contracts of carriage.
Mike is ranked in The Legal 500 2015 as a ‘Leading Individual’.
Weightmans LLP‘s Liverpool-based shipping team has a broad practice that excels in both litigation and advisory work. The practice counts operators, insurers, charterers, and P&I clubs among its clients, and has a particular focus on acting for ports and terminals. In a significant recent development, Phil James departed the firm to join Roose + Partners, with Mike Burns succeeding him as the practice head.
Weightmans LLP generates mandates from a wide range of stakeholders in the transport and logistics industry, including hauliers, freight forwarders, infrastructure owners, post and courier service providers and marine insurers. Its core areas of strength include regulatory work, commercial and competition matters, and mandates concerning marine and goods in transit. The group also houses a specialist road regulatory team, representing clients in courts, tribunals and inquiries. Practice head Phil James deals with all issues arising from the interaction between ship, port and cargo interests. Mike Burns undertakes a mix of dispute resolution and marine-related transactional work.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Health and safety
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Liverpool
- Real estate > Commercial property: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Social housing
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Real estate > Construction
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant