Gary Jones > Weightmans LLP > Liverpool, England > Lawyer Profile
Weightmans LLP Offices
100 OLD HALL STREET
- Go to...
Gary qualified in 1989 with Alsop Wilkinson in London (now DLA Piper). In 1991 he returned to the north and for four years worked at Aaron & Partners in Chester. He moved to Mace & Jones in 1995 and became a partner in the corporate department in Liverpool in 1997. Mace & Jones merged into Weightmans in May 2011.
Gary offers a wide range of expertise to a varied client base including owner managed businesses, large corporates, universities and the regional venture finance holding fund North West Business Finance Limited. He advises clients on all aspects of corporate work, nationally and internationally, from starting up, shareholders agreements, mergers and acquisitions, MBOs, joint ventures, private equity, fundraising and AIM floatations.
Gary advises local authorities, universities, venture capital funds and public and private companies on State aid compliance. Feedback from DCMS state aid team is that the state aid review letter has been the best and most comprehensive they have to date seen across all the Waves of the Local Full Fibre Projects and has now set a new benchmark on quality expected going forward.
Gary is the partner principally responsible for the firm’s relationship with Legalink, the international network of 70 independent law firms. Gary has helped lead the Legalink network through its management committee since 2013 and was appointed Legalink Chair for two years from October 2017.
Gary is actively involved with the International Bar Association and is a member of the IBA Mergers and Acquisitions Committee and Space Law Committee.
Weightmans LLP‘s banking and finance team is known for its excellent public sector financing group, which has advised on major social housing, green finance, and Covid-19 business interruption lending matters. It also offers a traditional financing experience, serving on panels for numerous major banks. Patricia Grinyer leads the team from Manchester and offers unique services advising funds on the impact of Brexit. Gary Jones offers borrowers expertise on state aid compliance.
Under the experienced leadership of Laurence Pritchard, the team at Weightmans LLP continues to be widely recognised for its expertise in competition law damages claims. The firm’s representation of UK Trucks Claim in its application to the Competition Appeal Tribunal on behalf of 600,000 UK purchasers and lessees of trucks who suffered loss as a result of cartel activities is just one recent example of such work. The firm is also noted for its depth of industry knowledge in the airline, energy, food and drink, and insurance sectors. Gary Jones regularly advises local authorities and universities on subsidy control issues.
- EU and competition - North West > Corporate and commercial
- Banking and finance - North West > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- Employment > Health and safety
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Liverpool
- Real estate > Commercial property: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Social housing
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Liverpool
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Real estate > Construction