Justin McGilloway > Wedlake Bell LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Wedlake Bell LLP Offices
71 QUEEN VICTORIA STREET
- Go to...
Pensions and employee benefits.
Partner specialising in advising employers (UK and international), trustee boards (including offshore), pension product providers and individuals on all aspects of pensions and employee benefits law. This includes advising on pensions documentation, trustee fiduciary duties, corporate transactions, pensions regulator clearance, pension scheme reorganisations, funding negotiations, closing schemes to future accrual, winding-up schemes, pension issues on divorce, pensions taxation and pension Ombudsman disputes. Recent experience includes advising distressed ‘not for profit’ organisations on managing defined benefit liabilities and a pension separation exercise; acting for an international online gaming company on the pension aspects of its first UK corporate acquisition including pension regulator clearance and pension protection fund negotiation; advising the trustees of a FTSE 250 company’s pension scheme on liability management exercises and alternative asset investments; acting for a commercial property company on the pension aspects of a number of public/private partnership transactions involving ex-local authority employees. Also provides bespoke trustee training seminars to clients on pension issues.
Justin joined Wedlake Bell in 2010 and became a partner in 2012. He studied English law at the University of Dundee (graduating in 2000) and obtained his post-graduate qualification in Newcastle upon Tyne. He trained with KLegal (KPMG’s law firm) and qualified in 2003 with McGrigors (now Pinsent Masons) specialising in all aspects of employee benefits including tax efficient bonus planning structures and share schemes including a secondment with KPMG’s employment tax group. He then spent four years at Hogan Lovells where he specialised in pensions law.
Member of Association of Pension Lawyers’ Education and Seminars Committee. Director of Wedlake Bell Pension Trustees Limited.
Golf, skiing, family.
Wedlake Bell LLP‘s ‘very pleasant to deal with‘ pensions and employee benefit group works closely with teams across the wider firm, including the banking and finance, and insolvency and restructuring, teams to offer a broad pensions practice. The group has experience in advising employers on final salary schemes, in regulatory issues such as auto-enrolment, and in pensions matters pertaining to divorce. Heading the department is Justin McGilloway , who is ably supported by Alison Hills and Clive Weber , who ‘brings the advantage of very many years experience in the field‘.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Real estate > Property finance
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Residential property
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Corporate and commercial > VAT and indirect tax
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Employment > Senior executives
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Employment > Employers