Justin McGilloway > Wedlake Bell LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Wedlake Bell LLP Offices
71 QUEEN VICTORIA STREET
- Go to...
Pensions and employee benefits.
Partner specialising in advising employers (UK and international), trustee boards (including offshore), pension product providers and individuals on all aspects of pensions and employee benefits law. This includes advising on pensions documentation, trustee fiduciary duties, corporate transactions, pensions regulator clearance, pension scheme reorganisations, funding negotiations, closing schemes to future accrual, winding-up schemes, pension issues on divorce, pensions taxation and pension Ombudsman disputes. Recent experience includes advising distressed ‘not for profit’ organisations on managing defined benefit liabilities and a pension separation exercise; acting for an international online gaming company on the pension aspects of its first UK corporate acquisition including pension regulator clearance and pension protection fund negotiation; advising the trustees of a FTSE 250 company’s pension scheme on liability management exercises and alternative asset investments; acting for a commercial property company on the pension aspects of a number of public/private partnership transactions involving ex-local authority employees. Also provides bespoke trustee training seminars to clients on pension issues.
Justin joined Wedlake Bell in 2010 and became a partner in 2012. He studied English law at the University of Dundee (graduating in 2000) and obtained his post-graduate qualification in Newcastle upon Tyne. He trained with KLegal (KPMG’s law firm) and qualified in 2003 with McGrigors (now Pinsent Masons) specialising in all aspects of employee benefits including tax efficient bonus planning structures and share schemes including a secondment with KPMG’s employment tax group. He then spent four years at Hogan Lovells where he specialised in pensions law.
Member of Association of Pension Lawyers’ Education and Seminars Committee. Director of Wedlake Bell Pension Trustees Limited.
Golf, skiing, family.
The trustee-focused practice at Wedlake Bell LLP provides the full range of pensions advice to clients in sectors such as foods, food and leisure, manufacturing and not-for-profit. Regular instructions see the team advising on restructuring exercises (including in respect to PPF arrangements), funding strategy, employer covenants, member security arrangements, documentation updates and flexible apportionment arrangements. The team also has expertise in advising high net-worth individuals on their offshore pension arrangements. The ‘pragmatic and proactive‘ Justin McGilloway heads up the practice.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Private client > Family
- Real estate > Residential property
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > VAT and indirect tax
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Brand management
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Commercial property: retail
- Real estate > Contruction: non-contentious
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Human resources > Employment: employers