Michael Ridsdale > Wedlake Bell LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Wedlake Bell LLP Offices
71 QUEEN VICTORIA STREET
- Go to...
Partner who advises on all aspects of UK and international taxation affecting businesses situated both in the UK and overseas. He is frequently asked to advise on the structuring of real estate transactions and has extensive experience advising both buyers and sellers on M&A and real estate-related transactions, ranging from FTSE 30 companies to family-owned companies. He also advises owners of all types of property interests be that UK and non-UK resident individuals, companies or partnerships, as wells as offshore and UK trustees on their underlying interests in land be that investment or trading, such as landed estates. Michael has a particular expertise in indirect tax and regularly advises on the VAT and SDLT implications of a range of transactions. In addition to his advisory practice, Michael is very experienced at handling enquiries and investigations made by, and appeals against, HM Revenue & Customs.
Trained Hammonds; qualified 2001; joined Wedlake Bell 2005; partner 2007; visiting lecturer at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies; has also lectured at the Academy of European Law in Trier, Germany, on the emergence of an abusive practice test in relation to VAT. Edited the VAT Chapter in Tolley’s Property Taxation 2012-2013. Regular contributor to journals, speaks at conferences and has also been quoted in the ‘Financial Times’ and ‘The Times’ on VAT matters and sits on the editorial board of the ‘Legal Compliance Bulletin’, published by the Law Society.
British Property Federation’s VAT committee; Law Society’s VAT and Duties sub-committee; VAT Practitioners Group (National Chairman).
Driffield School; Sheffield University (1997 LLB (Hons)); London School of Economics (2004 LLM taxation).
Michael Ridsdale leads the team at Wedlake Bell LLP, which advises large corporates and major UK universities on a variety of VAT issues, including those concerning real estate assets and new developments, where it draws on the firm’s strong real estate capabilities. Martin Scammell is another key name; he has substantial experience in property VAT.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Private client > Family
- Real estate > Residential property
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > VAT and indirect tax
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Brand management
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Commercial property: retail
- Real estate > Contruction: non-contentious
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Human resources > Employment: employers