David Golten > Wedlake Bell LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Wedlake Bell LLP Offices
71 QUEEN VICTORIA STREET
- Go to...
David is a litigation specialist and acts for a wide range of UK and international corporations, public bodies, professional firms and high net worth individuals in a wide variety of commercial dispute forums, including those with an international element.
His work includes high value commercial contract disputes, partnership and shareholder disputes, professional negligence. David has acted in several reported cases and has had cases in the Court of Appeal, the House of Lords and the European Court of Justice.
David also has a political practice. He acted in the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom in Miller v Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union  UKSC 5 and in the Supreme Court of Kenya in the successful challenge brought by Raila Odinga to the Kenyan Presidential election in 2017. He leads the firm’s Brexit Steering Group and he advised on the implications of a delay to Brexit beyond 29 March 2019 on the UK’s participation that year in the EU General Election For the European Parliament. More recently David and his team have been advising clients about the implications of the Covid 19 pandemic and lockdown on commercial contracts and leases.
The team David leads won the 2018 Legal Business Commercial Litigation Team of the Year Award.
Trained Hyde Mahon Bridges; qualified 1994; joined Trower & Hamlins 1997, then Cannings Connolly and became partner and head of litigation before joining Wedlake Bell as partner in November 2012.
LLB (Hons) Law.
Wedlake Bell LLP is ‘an excellent firm and the members of the commercial litigation team are all very switched on‘. The practice routinely conducts cases in the High Court; and in a recent 12-month period, it also appeared in both the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal. The practice covers matters including breach of contract, professional negligence, judicial review and company disputes, along with shareholder and partnership claims, banking and finance litigation, fraud, debt and asset recovery, and IT disputes. It is also extremely well-known for real estate litigation and construction disputes. David Golten is commercial litigation head, while Glenn Chidgey and Tal Goldsmith are insolvency specialists.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Real estate > Residential property
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets - low-mid cap
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > VAT and indirect tax
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Senior executives
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Employment > Employers
- Real estate > Property finance