James Castro-Edwards > Wedlake Bell LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Wedlake Bell LLP Offices
71 QUEEN VICTORIA STREET
- Go to...
Head of data protection team.
Partner advising domestic and multinational organisations on data protection issues. Experience includes managing global data protection compliance projects for multinationals, including implementation of Sarbanes-Oxley driven whistleblower hotlines and the implementation of outsourced HR and CRM systems, including PeopleSoft, Workday and Salesforce.com. Typically, such projects include managing local counsel across numerous jurisdictions, coordinating with clients’ local offices and local data protection authorities and providing practical solutions to the client project lead.
James regularly advises domestic companies on complex data protection issues. He has also developed and delivered innovative data protection training programs for multinational clients, including developing a data protection officers’ training course which was accredited by a European government.
James joined Wedlake Bell in May 2015 as a Partner and Head of Data Protection, from PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwCLegal) cyber security and data protection team. Prior to PwCLegal, James was a Senior Associate, specialising in data protection at Speechly Bircham. He qualified at Japanese investment bank Mizuho International, in 2004.
Wedlake Bell LLP advises start-ups, customers, software suppliers, systems integrators and outsourcing service providers on a range of matters, with particular expertise in data protection and fintech mandates. Practice head Jonathan Cornthwaite specialises in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements. Other key practitioners include James Castro-Edwards, who focuses on cybersecurity and data protection issues; and consultant Mick Gorrill, who is an expert in data protection security breaches and complicated data protection compliance cases.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Real estate > Residential property
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets - low-mid cap
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > VAT and indirect tax
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Senior executives
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Employment > Employers
- Real estate > Property finance