Julie Gowland > Birketts LLP > Norwich, England > Lawyer Profile
Birketts LLP Offices
1 GILDERS WAY
- Go to...
Julie joined Birketts in December 2013 as an Associate Solicitor, and is Head of Licensing within the Corporate Criminal Defence Team.
Julie was called to the Bar in 2002 and went on to qualify as a solicitor in 2006. Since then she has dealt with all aspects of criminal law in both the Magistrates and Crown Court as well as representing clients at the police station throughout the country. Julie has experience of dealing with Prosecutions from a number of regulatory bodies including the Health and Safety Executive, Environment Agency and Trading Standards amongst others.
In addition, Julie has vast experience of regulatory and licensing matters for clients in the leisure industry including new/variation premises license applications (including contested applications) Temporary Event Notices and personal licence applications. Julie’s friendly style and experience enable her to smooth the passage of premises licence applications including negotiations with responsible authorities and interested parties.
Lawyer Rankings(Rising stars)
Birketts LLP has extensive cross-industry experience in serious health and safety matters, including disasters and multiple fatalities. The firm, which acts for both corporate clients and individuals, has former HSE consultants and safety consultants in its team and is instructed in cases nationwide. Partner Matthew Gowen, who is a qualified barrister, leads the regulatory and corporate defence practice from Ipswich, though he works across the firm’s entire office network. Norwich-based legal director Julie Gowland is another key figure in the practice.
Birketts LLP has a truly regional presence and a dedicated team that handles licensing matters across East Anglia for a diverse range of clients, among them hotel chains, breweries, nightclubs, race courses, event operators, churches and concert promoters. The practice, led by legal director Julie Gowland in Norwich, draws on the expertise of the firm’s highly regarded planning group. Gowland handles both applications for new licences and contested matters.
At Birketts LLP, ‘the empathy, understanding and overall client care demonstrated by the team is outstanding‘. The firm handles all manner of privately funded criminal defence work, including traffic-related cases for national motor groups and individuals. Its work also encompasses trading standards, food safety and financial crime. Partner and barrister Matthew Gowen leads the practice from Ipswich, where senior associate and barrister Daniel Irving is a key practitioner. ‘ Very approachable and realistic‘ legal director Julie Gowland in Norwich frequently defends complex criminal matters, both as an advocate in the Magistrates’ Court and alongside counsel.
- General crime and fraud - East Anglia > Crime, fraud and licensing
- Health and safety - East Anglia > Employment
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Licensing - East Anglia > Crime, fraud and licensing
- Rising stars - East Anglia > Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Rising stars - East Anglia > Employment > Health and safety
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Real estate > Social housing
- Transport > Transport and shipping