Mr Anuj Berry > Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co > New Delhi, India > Lawyer Profile
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co Offices
216 OKHLA INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, PHASE 3
NEW DELHI 110 020
- Go to...
Mr Anuj Berry
Litigation, Dispute Resolution, White Collar Defense Group
Anuj joined Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas in 2006 and is a Partner with the Firm’s Litigation, Dispute Resolution and White Collar Defence Group. Anuj specialises in all issues of national and international white collar crime, fraud, corruption and regulatory enforcement investigations. He specialises in internal investigations as also investigations by federal anti-corruption and anti-money laundering authorities. Anuj has recently been ranked as ‘Leading Individual’ for White Collar Crime by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide 2019.
Anuj has represented multi-national corporations in large and politically sensitive anti-corruption and anti-money laundering investigations having a cross border element. His work involves assisting clients and senior management in all aspects of the investigation, guiding defence strategy and representation before Courts or in investigations before regulatory and government bodies. He also assists in internal trainings and advisory on the area of white collar crimes, both for management and personnel.
His key work experience on White Collar Defence matters is as under:
- Representing a large US based foreign retailer in investigations and court related action concerning the first investigation initiated against a private company by the Central Vigilance Commission in India. The investigations in India relate to an ongoing FCPA investigation in the United States of America.
- Advising a French defence manufacturer with regard to Indian enforcement action arising out of alleged corruption allegations in the supply of advanced fighter jets to the Indian Air Force.
- Advising an American multinational conglomerate company on an internal investigation arising out of a whistle blower complaint raising allegations of payment of bribes and kickbacks to vendors
- Representing the Chairman Emeritus of a large Indian multinational conglomerate in proceedings concerning quashing of criminal proceedings arising out of the Copyright Act
- Representing the principal shareholder of a low-cost airline in India on allegations of fraudulent transactions engaged in by the ex-CEO of the airline and investigations initiated by the federal anti-corruption investigating authority, money laundering authority connected litigation.
- Representing a leading American software company with regard to prosecution launched by the federal anti-corruption investigation authority against its employees concerning alleged favours extended to a government official in lieu of awarding contracts.
- Representing a leading IT company facing CBI investigation in relation to supply of components to an eminent PSU airline.
- Advising the principal shareholder of an Indian e-commerce company on an internal investigation pursuant to an ethics complaint concerning allegations of improper payments to local unions of unorganised workers in an Indian state
- Advising a leading audit firm on issues concerning reporting of fraud discovered during the audit process in connection with a large non-banking finance company
- Advising a global alcohol beverages company on multiple internal investigations concerning allegations of payment of bribes, vendor kickbacks and improper sale of alcohol
- Advised a leading professional services company in relation to a complaint by a whistle-blower regarding the company’s hiring practices.
- Advised a leading telecom distributor for vendor kickbacks and allegations of internal financial reporting manipulations.
- Advising a leading international investment bank with regard to an investigation by the federal anti-corruption investigating authority on allegations of cheating, corruption against an erstwhile airline company and its promoters.
- Advised a leading renewables energy company for allegations of bribery and vendor favouritism.
- Represented the principal shareholder of a joint venture in the defense sector in investigations before the federal anti-corruption investigating authority
- Represented a Malaysian media group in investigations before the federal anti-corruption investigating authority, money laundering authority, and the Special Court set up by the Supreme Court of India to conduct the trial of cases pertaining to the ‘2G Spectrum’ scam (India’s largest telecom industry-related scams). The work extends to representation in court, advising on issues relating to extradition, execution of letters rogatory and other overseas aspects of the investigation.
- Represented the Indian subsidiary of a United Kingdom-based telecom company in proceedings before the Special Court set up by the Supreme Court of India to conduct the trial of cases pertaining to the ‘2G Spectrum’ scam, which led to their discharge from the proceedings.
- Represented the Indian subsidiary of a French transport company in investigations before the federal anti-corruption investigating authority concerning alleged bribery allegations initiated at the instance of the United Kingdom Serious Frauds Investigation Office
- Advised a former Chief Minister of an Indian state in proceedings before the concerned local authorities concerning allegations of corruption.
- Advised a leading Information Technology MNC on an internal investigation concerning leak of price sensitive information to the press
- Advised the principal shareholder of an Indian e-commerce company on legal issues concerning sexual harassment allegations raised by a former employee against a senior member of the company
- Advised a leading international airline company with regard to an investigation by the federal anti-corruption investigation agency into improper payments made to a lobbyist for obtaining preferential rights to fly to
Anuj actively contributes articles in global publications. Mentioning a few as under:
- “Making Section 482 CrPC the sole remedy – Case Study of Madras High Court’s judgment in K.Raghupathy v The Commissioner of Police”, Mondaq (September 2017).
- “Supreme Court On Admissibility Of Electronic Records As Secondary Evidence”, Mondaq (July 2017).
- “The Consumer Is Paramount – National Consumer Commission’s Assertion Of Its Jurisdiction”, Mondaq (July 2017).
- “Retrospective application of Prevention of Money Laundering Act”, ILO (July 2017).
Anuj joined Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas in 2006. He worked with the Firm till 2009 when he took a sabbatical to pursue Bachelor of Civil Laws (BCL) at the University of Oxford and then re-joined the firm in 2010. While at Oxford, he undertook academic and practical training in International Dispute Settlement. He gained his LLB from National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata.
Bar Council of Delhi
B.A., LL.B (Hons.), National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata, BCL (Oxon)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co has a top-tier white-collar investigations practice led by Pallavi Shroff, with multijurisdictional instructions coming from global financial services, telecoms, FMCG, construction and manufacturing clients, among others. Nishant Joshi fields expertise in handling parallel civil and criminal proceedings concerning claims of fraud, negligence, data theft, cybercrimes, money laundering and all other economic offences. Anuj Berry continues to build the extradition practice, having represented Indian clients in numerous dealings with Interpol involving cross-border corruption claims. Lateral hire Alina Arora from L&L Partners Law Offices further strengthened the anti-corruption governance and compliance skillset. M&A due diligence and anti-bribery/anti-corruption post-merger compliance is routinely supplied to the firm’s corporate clients.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Antitrust and competition
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Private client
- Projects and energy
- Real estate and construction
- Restructuring and insolvency
- White-collar crime