Mr David Smedley > Walker Morris LLP > Leeds, England > Lawyer Profile
Walker Morris LLP Offices
33 Wellington Street
- Go to...
Mr David Smedley
Partner and Head of Litigation and Employment
As Head of Employment, David has over 25 years experience in all aspects of employment and industrial relations work. In addition, he deals with a wide range of high value breach of contract and restrictive covenant claims. With his Employment Team he resolves a wide range of contentious issues as well as becoming involved in strategic HR planning for clients in a non-contentious context. David is also part of our Education Group and deals with all aspects of education law including admissions and exclusions issues and claims for judicial review. David was one of the few to successfully oppose an appeal against a schools decision to permanently exclude a pupil.
In a given case David will generally deal with all advocacy and is well known to ACAS and the Employment Tribunals. He is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and the Industrial Society and regularly contributes to publications (both specialist and general). Guidelines for Tribunals to deal with discrimination claims were handed down in David’s case of Netto Foodstores v Blaise Tchoula. David also acted in the recent high profile status case of Redcats (Brands) Limited v James.
David is Head of Litigation & Dispute Resolution and a member of the Firm’s Management Board (an elected post) for over a decade. David is heavily involved in the firm’s Annual Charity Children’s Calendar competition and together with Ashley Jackson, he judges the entries and hosts the award ceremony for the winning schools.
Yorkshire and the Humber > Public sector > Education
Walker Morris LLP assists schools and further education institutions at a national level with the full spectrum of issues including commercial contracts, governance issues, employment work, real estate developments and litigation. David Smedley and Jules Harbage jointly lead the practice; Smedley focuses on employment and industrial relations work and Harbage handles contentious and non-contentious construction matters.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Human resources > Pensions
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Public sector > Education
- Human resources > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Energy
- Real estate > Environment
- Public sector > Health
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Infrastructure
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property