Mrs Jeanette Burgess > Walker Morris LLP > Leeds, England > Lawyer Profile
Walker Morris LLP Offices
33 Wellington Street
- Go to...
Mrs Jeanette Burgess
Regulatory & Compliance
Partner and Head of Regulatory & Compliance
Jeanette specialises in regulatory law and heads up a varied practice serving national and international clients on issues ranging from consumer finance, FCA regulation, fraud, data protection, money laundering and health and safety compliance.
In her 17 year career, Jeanette has acquired valuable experience from a number of difference perspectives, having previously worked for DLA Piper, the UK Financial Services Authority enforcement team, and Provident Financial plc.
She is described in The Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession as being “very commercially minded in trying to bring about solutions” and is also praised by clients in the Acritas Stars Survey for “her ability to give constructive legal advice whilst bearing in mind commercial pressure.”
Walker Morris LLP’ technology practice recently had a significant lateral hire with Sally Mewies, who joined from Gowling WLG to head up the technology practice. Mewies and James Crayton handle the breadth of commercial IT matters, including outsourcing contracts, licensing deals, cloud and SaaS contracts and M&A activity. IT-related disputes are handled by Malcolm Simpson, and Jeanette Burgess applies her regulatory knowledge to cross-border data processing and data sharing agreements. The client roster comprises both IT customers and suppliers.
Stuart Ponting is the go-to name at Walker Morris LLP for contentious health and safety engagements; he handles litigation and inquests into fatal accidents for household-name UK and international clients in the food and retail sectors. The team also provides full-service crisis management and incident response support to care homes and construction, manufacturing and healthcare companies, while practice head Jeanette Burgess regularly handles training programmes and audits. Senior associate Claire Burrows provides support on prosecutions and investigations, and is developing a niche in post-Grenfell fire safety issues.
- Health and safety - Yorkshire and the Humber > Employment
- IT and telecoms - Yorkshire and the Humber > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Public sector > Health
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Health and safety
- Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Infrastructure and energy
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property