Mr Ben Coogan > Thomson Geer > Brisbane, Australia > Lawyer Profile
Thomson Geer Offices
LEVEL 28, WATERFRONT PLACE
1 EAGLE STREET
- Go to...
Mr Ben Coogan
Intellectual Property; Information Technology
Ben practices in all areas of intellectual property law including agreements and disputes, information technology, confidential information and privacy, competition and consumer law, and litigation. In addition to his intellectual property law experience, Ben is also an experienced practitioner in the area of defamation and media law.
Ben has considerable specialist litigation and prosecution experience in patent, copyright, trademarks, designs, and confidential information matters. Ben’s experience extends from acting locally in Queensland, to national and international matters. He also has broad experience across the Federal Court of Australia.
Ben advises international and national clients on their intellectual property and technology related contracts (including technology development and outsourcing arrangements), technology and IP licensing, research collaborations, e-commerce, intellectual property procurement and supply agreements, and regulatory compliance issues.
Ben has experience acting as the independent reviewer of companies’ competition and consumer law compliance programs and reporting to the ACCC.
Ben is a qualified mediator, and regularly acts as mediator in a variety of disputes. He also has experience in acting for clients and as an independent supervising solicitor in the execution of Anton Piller orders.
Ben’s experience in the education sector has resulted in him been chosen in The Educator’s Hot List for 2017! The Hot List shines the spotlight on the people at the forefront of innovation and leadership in the Australian education sector.
- Franchising Council of Australia (FCA)
- Licensing and Executives Society of Australia and New Zealand, Queensland Chapter (LESANZ)
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC – ACLA)
- Law Council of Australia Intellectual Property Committee
- Queensland Law Society’s Technology and Intellectual Property Committee
- Association of Corporate Council (ACC)
- Master of Laws, Queensland University of Technology.
- Bachelor of Arts and Laws (Hons), Queensland University of Technology
- Admitted to Supreme Court of Queensland and the High Court of Australia
Thomson Geer handles the protection, commercialisation and enforcement of the IP brands of Australian and global clients, focusing particularly on trade marks and patents. The practice group has undergone considerable expansion with the September 2020 addition of Andrew Chalet in Melbourne, special counsel Peytee Grusche in Perth and their team from Russell Kennedy, with their particular strength in life sciences and technology complementing the existing strengths of the team in these areas. Ben Coogan is also a key lawyer with considerable experience across a wide array of IP disputes.