Stephen Carter > Carter Perry Bailey LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Carter Perry Bailey LLP Offices
10 LLOYD'S AVENUE
- Go to...
Stephen is Managing Partner of Carter Perry Bailey. On qualifying in 1980, he joined a leading London insurance law firm, practicing primarily in professional indemnity and public liability defence and coverage. He moved to Charles Russell to work for two years on secondment in-house at a run-off management company. During this time his focus expanded to include the reinsurance market, in which he has been closely involved ever since, and other classes of insurance, broking and agency. He became a Partner in Charles Russell, and headed its insurance and reinsurance practice until, in 2009, with other members of that team, he set up Carter Perry Bailey.
Litigation and Arbitration
Stephen represents UK and international clientele in insurance and reinsurance litigation and arbitration. This has ranged from defence and coverage issues in London courts and arbitration to co-ordinating the representation of, and advice to, parties in overseas disputes with multi-jurisdictional facets. His practice has encompassed a wide range of insurance, reinsurance, insurance broking and agency issues, both in the live and run-off markets. He has acted in ad hoc arbitrations and arbitrations under ARIAS (UK), ICC, LCIA, City Disputes Panel and KAC Rules, in London and overseas. Stephen is qualified as a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators through its international arbitration module. He is also an ARIAS (UK) accredited arbitrator and has been instructed in overseas proceedings as an expert witness on English reinsurance.
Stephen has also conducted international commercial litigation and arbitration.
Commercial and Regulatory
Stephen advises on the drafting of insurance policy and reinsurance contract wordings (both traditional and ILS backed) and agency contracts. In the run-off market, he has advised on run-off management and reinsurance issues including Loss Portfolio Transfers, Schemes of Arrangement, Part VII transfers, commutations and management agreements. He advises on insurance regulatory issues concerning UK business and establishment. He has also advised an overseas government on the drafting of its External Insurance Act and on the structures and legislation that would be involved in creating an arbitration centre.
He is a regular speaker and contributor of articles on insurance, reinsurance and arbitration issues and is currently a Director of Community Reinsurance Corporation Limited, a reinsurance company in run-off.
- ARIAS (UK) – Panel Arbitrator
- Community Reinsurance Corporation Limited – Director
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – Member
- London Court of International Arbitration – Member of the European Users Council
- Federation of Defense of Corporate Counsel (“FDCC”) – International Vice Chair; past Chair of Reinsurance, Excess and Surplus Lines Section; UK Country Representative
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys (“ADTA”) – Member
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law – Member
- British Insurance Law Association (“BILA”) – Member
- Institute of Art and Law – Member
- Association of Insurance & Reinsurance Service Providers (“AirSP”) – former Board Member
- Insurance & Reinsurance Law Review – former Editorial Advisory Board Member
- Royal Academy of Arts – Friend
Led by Stephen Carter, boutique city firm Carter Perry Bailey LLP advises brokers and insurers on insurance matters. A large proportion of the firm’s work is cross-jurisdictional, and Carter specialises in regulatory and contractual insurance work.
Carter Perry Bailey LLP‘s varied practice handles work for insurers and reinsurers in both the live and run-off markets across a wide range of sectors. In addition to its experience in disputes involving property, construction, employers’ liability and cyber insurance, the team’s strength in life, accident and health insurance was bolstered by the arrival of Helen Tilley from Kennedys. The practice is led by Stephen Carter, who has over 30 years’ experience in this sector, and also includes Bernadette Bailey, who is particularly focused on direct insurance claims.
Carter Perry Bailey LLP goes ‘the extra mile’ to defend claims against solicitors, property agents, brokers, pharmacists and financial institutions, as well as handling claimant work for insurance entities. The team’s international client base includes insurers, brokers, financial institutions, public authorities and corporates. The ‘exceptional’ Mark Aizlewood works with insurers on a wide range of coverage issues. Managing partner Stephen Carter handles both contentious and non-contentious insurance work.
- Hall of Fame - London > Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Leading individuals - London > Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Insurance and reinsurance litigation - London > Insurance
- Insurance: corporate and regulatory - London > Insurance
- Professional negligence - London > Insurance