Mr Aditya Bhargava > Phoenix Legal > New Delhi, India > Lawyer Profile
Phoenix Legal Offices
1-3 floor, 254 ,
okhla phase 3
- Go to...
Mr Aditya Bhargava
Banking and Finance
Aditya is a partner based in the Mumbai Office of the Firm and is primarily involved in the banking and finance, and the debt capital markets and structured finance practices of the firm.
Awards and Citations
Aditya has been described as “efficient” and “sensitive to client needs”, and praised for his knowledge and professionalism- RSG Consulting 2019.
He has been recognized as a ‘Rising Star’ by IFLR 1000 2019.
He has been recognized as providing “unbiased legally sound advice” – 2017 Indian Law firm Ranking and Report by RSG Consulting.
Aditya regularly advises banks and financial institutions (including foreign portfolio investors) on a wide range of financing matters including providing cross border financings, structured finance transactions, plain vanilla and syndicated rupee term loans, ECB facilities, ODI facilities, APSAs, project finance, acquisition financing, trade finance, acquisition of distressed assets, transactional banking, subscription to debentures (secured, unsecured, and subordinated), and the issuance of regulatory capital (in the form of subordinated debt and BASEL III compliant bonds).
On transactional matters, he also assists in cross-border M&A, insurance, foreign exchange, infrastructure, and general corporate matters. He was also seconded as legal counsel to ANZ in Mumbai for a year to assist the branch set-up team enabling the re-entry of ANZ into India after receipt of in-principle approval from the RBI.
- Advising various financial sector entities on their simultaneous NCD issuances as part of India’s first collateralised bond obligation structure wherein the NCDs issued by each of the entities were secured by the receivables of the respective issuer. The NCDs were also secured by way of partial guarantees from two independent third party guarantors to credit enhance the NCDs. This transaction has been awarded the India Deal of the Year 2014 by the India Business Law Journal.
- Advised Commerzbank on syndicated lending to an overseas branch of a large Indian public sector bank.
- Acted as transaction legal counsel in connection with various securitisation issuances (including multi-originator issuances) with the underlying pool being micro-loans originated by various microfinance institutions arranged by IFMR Capital and Vivriti Capital.
- Advised ICICI Bank on INR 20 billion facilities to a major electricity producer in Western India for financing its debt service requirement in relation to facilities availed for construction, operation, and maintenance of 4000 MW Ultra Mega Power Project.
- Advising a foreign portfolio investor (FPI) on a collateralised loan obligation structure wherein a pool of SMEs simultaneously issued NCDs to the FPI, and the FPI simultaneously subscribed to the aforementioned NCDs debentures, all of which were supported by a subordination from the existing lender of the SMEs. This is a scalable structure and has been utilised for a repeat transaction by the FPI.
Where trained: Phoenix Legal since February 2010
Year qualified: 2008
Partner in the present firm: April 2017
English and Hindi
Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa.
Inter-Pacific Bar Association.
National Law University, Jodhpur. BSc.LL.B (Honours) (2003-2008)
Phoenix Legal provides a syndicated lending practice regularly sought out by domestic and foreign financial institutions for a breadth of transactions, including syndicated loans, secured financing and inter-bank financings. Co-heads Sawant Singh and Abhishek Saxena take the lead on corporate and project financing deals for lenders and borrowers alike. With co-head Aditya Bhargava, the team houses an experienced structured finance expert active across the gamut of sectors and instructed by multinational lenders, sponsors and arrangers. The addition of Harsh Arora who joined from HSA Advocates enhanced the firm’s banking, structured finance and project finance capacity.