Kelvin Farmaner > Trethowans LLP > Southampton, England > Lawyer Profile
Trethowans LLP Offices
THE PAVILION, BOTLEIGH GRANGE BUSINESS PARK
- Go to...
Kelvin is an experienced Litigation Lawyer, Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings), and has a niche expertise and understanding of the insurance sector.
He is a member of the Law Society Specialist Personal Injury Panel and also of FOIL (Forum of Insurance Lawyers). He currently sit on FOIL’s “European Issues” Sector Focus team and has published articles in various regional publications, in trade journals such as ‘The New Law Journal’, ‘PI Brief Update Law Journal’, ‘The Post Magazine’ and ‘The Solicitors Journal’ as well as appearing in a lawyer training DVD for The College of Law, London.
He has been recognised in Chambers (2018) and is recommended in the Legal 500 (2017).
He acts for Domestic and European Insurance companies, mainly in connection with defending motor claims cases. He has also established a niche practice in relation to claims involving animals, having acted for the successful party in the leading case of Mirvahedy v Henley, which was decided in 2003 in the House of Lords (the case in which the court defined the responsibilities of keepers of animals under Section 2 of the Animals Act 1971). As a result of this, he is a member of the Equine and Animals Lawyers Association.
He is now Vice President of the Southampton Insurance Institute Council, having been President for 2015/16, and also Vice Chair of the Hampshire Chamber of Commerce Professional Services Forum.
Trained Foot Anstey, qualified 2000. Partner Trethowans 2010.
Trethowans LLP‘s personal injury team offers clients an ‘excellent bespoke service‘ with dedicated expertise ranging from liability matters to international claims. Led by Kelvin Farmaner, the group handles high-value and complex work, and also has experience in cross-border matters. Other key figures include Sarah Wheadon, who has niche experience in animal liability matters, and Bethany Blamire, who has acted for regional and international insurers.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Hampshire
- Human resources > Employment: Hampshire
- Private client > Family: Hampshire
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Hampshire
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Hampshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Hampshire
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery