Richard Cook > Trethowans LLP > Southampton, England > Lawyer Profile
Trethowans LLP Offices
THE PAVILION, BOTLEIGH GRANGE BUSINESS PARK
- Go to...
Commercial litigation team.
Richard is a partner in the Commercial Litigation team in Southampton. He is a highly experienced commercial litigator with over 30 years of experience handling cases of substantial value for a wide variety of clients, from public listed companies to owner managed businesses.
Richard’s most high profile case was Johnson v Gore Wood, a case which went to the House of Lords and is still the leading authority on abuse of process concerning claims brought by related parties.
Richard’s other reported cases include Youlton v Charles Russell, a £4 million professional negligence claim which involved a 6 day trial in the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice (and in which judgment was given in our client’s favour) and Kingsway Hall Hotel Limited v Red Sky IT (Hounslow) Limited, a ten day trial over defective software, which again was successfully decided in our client’s favour.
He has considerable experience in a wide variety of areas including professional negligence, intellectual property (mainly copyright and trade mark infringement) and defamation.
Trained: Lovells; Frere Cholmeley; Manches and Shoosmiths; qualified 1983. Partner Trethowans 2009.
The commercial litigation team at Trethowans LLP draws on strong links with the firm’s other regional offices in Bournemouth and Poole, as well as close connections with the private client team, to provide litigation support to clients ranging from public bodies and well-known brands to owner-managed businesses and SMEs. Team head Karl Cameron has experience in areas spanning professional negligence claims and financial services litigation. Richard Cook is well known for his work in contract claims, shareholder disputes, warranty claims, and IP disputes, while newly promoted partner Jennifer Bowes specialises in commercial contract disputes.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Hampshire
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Hampshire
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Hampshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Hampshire
- Employment > Employment: Hampshire
- Private client > Family: Hampshire
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms