John Davies > Thrings LLP > Swindon, England > Lawyer Profile
Thrings LLP Offices
6 DRAKES MEADOW
- Go to...
Corporate Commercial team.
Head of Corporate. John specialises in business and company acquisitions, disposals, MBO’s, MBI’s, restructure and refinance. He also acts for a number of banks on structured finance solutions for businesses. John is also one of the firm’s client relationship partners and assists clients with strategic, commercial advice often negotiating complex agreements and joint ventures. He works closely with the in-house legal teams of a number of universally recognised businesses providing support where necessary. John has won Client Partner of the Year at the prestigious Lawyers Awards and Deal of the Year at the Insider Awards.
Trained Thrings; qualified 2000; assistant Thrings 2000-02; associate 2002-03; partner 2003 to date.
Founding council member of the Swindon Chamber of Commerce; Founder board member of the local strategic economic partnership; Founding board member of Switch on to Swindon; the Law Society.
Christ College, Brecon; University of Wales, Swansea (BSc Joint Hons Economy; PG Dip in US foreign policy); University of the West of England (PG Dip Law and LPC).
Family, sport, travel, countryside.
South West > Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
The corporate and commercial team at Thrings LLP has a focus on M&A transactions, where it acts on deals in sectors including hospitality, utilites and engineering. John Davies has deep experience in corporate transactions and co-heads the team alongside commercial partner Kate Westbrook, who is praised as ‘pragmatic and responsive’. Simon Hore is also noted for his transactional expertise and frequently works alongside Davies on deals. The partners in the firm’s Swindon office routinely collaborate with the Bristol-based team to advise clients.
Thrings LLP is instructed on a range of corporate transactions, including M&A deals, joint ventures and investments. The firm’s corporate practice is split between its Swindon office, where John Davies heads the overall team, and Bristol, where Elaine Meyrick serves as practice head. In 2021, Meyrick and John Richardson handled work including advising private equity portfolio companies on transactions as well as the establishment of employee benefit trusts. Head of banking Mike Tomlin is another name to note and advises on corporate transactions and financings.
- Corporate and commercial: Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire - South West > Corporate and commercial
- Corporate and commercial: Bristol - South West > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Real estate > Environment
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
- Private client > Family
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Real estate > Planning